Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original battery is on its last legs.

Anyone got any recommendations for a new one for a cloverleaf?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went for a Bosch S4 Car Battery 027 with 4 Year Guarantee (Eurocarparts code 444770277 and there's a 45% off batteries offer running at the moment). I did need to buy an extension bar for my socket set to reach the nut on the battery clamp.
Other batteries and vendors are available...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gs are VERY battery sensitive, so make sure you get the correct one. Get it wrong and you'll have all sorts of strange things happening, and end up buying another battery................don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gs are VERY battery sensitive, so make sure you get the correct one. Get it wrong and you'll have all sorts of strange things happening, and end up buying another battery................don't ask how I know.

Interesting but would help if you could tell me which ones to avoid or at least which one doesn't give any problems.

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I put the cheapest battery I could find on our G (Branded vetech) and it has been absolutely fine.

Cost me £35 IIRC and that was 3 1/2 years ago now.

Even the stop start still works if I forget to turn it off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think what Robden meant may have been that putting a non-EFB or AGM battery on because they’re cheaper is more likely to cause problems.
I’ve used Halfrauds batteries on past cars with no problems, but they didn’t have stop-start, so brand is less important than tangible quality.
A new battery of any sort is probably unlikely to cause problems, but one that doesn’t meet the specs will over time give non-functioning S-S along with various error codes because it’s not up to the job.
Get an EFB or AGM, with the best Ah and cold-cranking power and longest guarantee you can afford, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Get Bosch or Varta, EFB at least, or preferably AGM would be my recommendation. Other well known makes ought to be suitable but Bosch and Varta are within my experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have start stop on my cloverleaf, or at least I don't think I do.

I usually buy a battery with best cold start and capacity I can get. Used Exide batteries previously and never had an issue with them Usually priced well too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I replaced the original Exide with a Yuasa from Halfords in January. Been rock solid, the stop/start is much better behaved. Amazon also sell them (or did in January) for the same price delivered, albeit with a longer lead time hence why I bought it from Halfords.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't think the Cloverleafs have stop start? I got a new AGM battery for my 2.0 jtdm2 and stop start works everywhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like Wivenhoe I put the Bosch S4 027 on my car in August. Seems to do the job. £83 from ECP with the discount although I suspect that is the market rate as it seems available from a number of places at around that price. The other one I looked at was the Duracell Advanced (I think DA62H would be the one). Reputation seems alright but was not immediately available so went for the Bosch.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
ECP have their discounts which look good, but really when the inflated price is discounted it only brings the price down to that of other suppliers. Here's Tayna's price. Note they indicate Bosch S4 027 isn't for stop-start.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ECP have their discounts which look good, but really when the inflated price is discounted it only brings the price down to that of other suppliers. Here's Tayna's price. Note they indicate Bosch S4 027 isn't for stop-start.
The one you linked in the image has terminals wrong way round.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
A genuine battery from Alfa is only £129 and its a start/stop EFB unlike the bosch "027" you actually need a 444779058 "EFB O27"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My cloverleaf doesn't have start stop.

I've got an Exide battery ordered. Original in the car currently is an Exide so will be ok and only 52 quid.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
The go to place for batteries is Tayna.

ECP discounts simply render ECP mildly uncompetitive (even including delivery). God knows who pays full price for ECP batteries.

I need to replace the battery in one of the 156s - and happened to be in Halfords. Halfords own brand (not Yuasa), 110 quid for an 096. Exide on Tayna - 50 quid. Bosch S5 on Tayna - 80 quid. Add a tenner delivery to the Tayna prices. These are all boggo wet cells, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new to the Alfa scene ( guilietta ) ,after having 6 yes 6 Chrysler pt cruisers crd model , the battery in them is an optima , it's a deep cycle coil battery , fantastic output , and you can mount it on its side etc not cheap but one of the best , these are also used for marine purposes

·
Registered
19 Posts
My original battery is on its last legs.

Anyone got any recommendations for a new one for a cloverleaf?
My stop/start had gone a few months ago on my 2010 1.4MA and as weather turning thought I'd better replace the battery. Ended up with an £87 Yuasa EFB ybx7027 from a company called SUPAC near me (Merthyr Tydfil). I know I could have had it a bit cheaper elsewhere and by post but battery bought and replaced by me within an hour. Stop/start is back (not that I'd missed it) but worryingly when first changed I had all sorts of error messages about steering, VDC, hill start not working....but they righted themselves after a drive, locking car, basically 're-booting' her......hope this helps...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yep, steering needs to be turned completely twice, and windows up&down....
Can't remember whether tire pressure has to be reset, too.
Standard reset procedure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts