Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Interesting....story.
Merger will - according to Automotive News Europe - be completed end of 2020.
Very likely there are some cooperation underway - but, probably, no "heavy stuff".
Some of INFO are facts - some is speculation. Times for SOP:s are - very likely - non realistic.

FCA has set the table for Alfa, without - so far- indicating what architecture small SUV will have, but a PSA architecture is - unlike the four other cars - likely. That is - as far as I can see - the only "news" in article.

·
Registered
33,125 Posts
The English boss of Citroen has got the job of sorting out all the brand differentiation at PSA-FCA.https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/citroen-and-ds-get-new-bosses-psa-reshuffle
Perhaps she’s looking at this model and how a better drivetrain suspension could be shared with Alfa and a better driving PSA brand.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Good old Auto Express: "the design will be unique,as our exclusive images preview."Of course they're exclusive - you made them up.

Will the brand reshuffle spell the end Citroen's big mistake, DS?

·
Registered
33,125 Posts
I think DS would benefit from getting some good dynamics engineering under the tinsel if it shared with parts with Alfa.

·
Registered
33,125 Posts
DS reminds me of Lancia. It would appear “luxury” comfy cars do not sell very well without an element of “Sport”. Perhaps why DS is getting into Formula E?
If only Lancia returned with an Integrale type halo car instead of a rebodied Fiat 500.

·
Registered
176 Posts
DS reminds me of Lancia. It would appear “luxury” comfy cars do not sell very well without an element of “Sport”. Perhaps why DS is getting into Formula E?
If only Lancia returned with an Integrale type halo car instead of a rebodied Fiat 500.
I fear that the merger is the final nail in the coffin for Lancia. With Vauxhall/Opel, Pug, Citroen, Fiat, Abarth, Alfa, and Maserati where would Lancia fit?

I’d love to see a new Lancia. Perhaps it could sit alongside Alfa as the luxury car with Alfa being the sporty. Shared platforms but with a smoother ride.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree with the above: there is an uncertain future both for Lancia and DS. DS is, probably, worst out: no heritage and - so far - no hit.
The new company need to focus on core values at money making brands - and one or two "exotic brands". Alfa fit the bill - and have strong support in the Board, but not Lancia nor DS.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know that Lancia - in it`s hayday - made some real smooth and fine cars - but they are long gone....

Strongest memory is Lancia Integrale, but again long ago and I am a bit old....

FIAT/FCA has done a relly good job to kill the brand, I am afraid it`s too late to save. Alfa is only half-way killed and with cars like they have released recently there is a chance - but even that is borderline.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think DS would benefit from getting some good dynamics engineering under the tinsel if it shared with parts with Alfa.
We replaced a 147 with a DS3. Dynamically it hasn't been a disappointment; way better than the contemporary C3, which drove as though they had omitted to fit any form of suspension damping!

Two World Rally Championships, both drivers' & constructors', in 2011 & 2012, suggest that "sport" may have been the original intention - or maybe the DS3 was a better starting point than the C3, being a 3-door? Hiving off DS as a separate marque meant, of course, that it lost its Citroen identity so they had to revert to the C3 for rallying.

DS is, probably, worst out: no heritage and - so far - no hit.
The DS3 sold very well for the first few years; trying to create a separate DS marque was, in my opinion, a mistake. Creating a new brand is seldom successful - Toyota managed it with Lexus, but Infiniti, Acura, Scion, Cupra, Genesis, etc, aren't really setting the world on fire.

·
Registered
33,125 Posts
The DS label was clearly aimed at the chintzy Chinese market as evidenced by its relationship to the core Citroen products when shown at places like Geneva Show. There were displays of crafts people doing things with metal and leather details, never dynamics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts