Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a normally aspirated V8 to a supercharged V6.. Wonder if all manufacturers will be going this way soon?

PistonHeads Headlines

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
well I think it would be on the cards for the not so hard core S4, but I think the RS4 will keep the V8, not sure about Audi, but the M3's new V8 is actually lighter than the straight 6 it replaces, and I hear its not using all the BHP out of it either (waiting for the CSL which is taking its time ...again...) :eek:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i doubt it, they have just gone from 450bhp twin turbo V8 to 573bhp v10 in the RS6, but then it does weigh over 2 ton:rolleyes:

im really thinking about getting an RS6 as a replacement for my 166, the V8 one.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Turbos ago the way to go now as manufacturers are being pressurised to lower CO2 emissions ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
i doubt it, they have just gone from 450bhp twin turbo V8 to 573bhp v10 in the RS6, but then it does weigh over 2 ton:rolleyes:

im really thinking about getting an RS6 as a replacement for my 166, the V8 one.
The RS6 is a bloody fast car ... I had a little race with one ... well I say I had a race, he went past me like I was standing still (and I was really trying :()

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It would chew through fuel.. Absolutely chew it to pieces..

How much can you get one for second hand? :D

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
there's somebody near me with an S4 - that is one lovely sounding V8 (lovely burble at low revs, haven't heard it at full welly yet though!). wasn't the previous generation S4 a turbocharged 2.7?

i think turbo/supercharging is the inevitable way forward for all manufacturers - bags of torque, more power from smaller engines giving lower weight/emissions etc. technology seems to be reducing the dreaded turbo lag as well. i know some people hate blown petrol engines but believe it or not out of the scores of cars i've driven, i've only ever driven one turbo - an A3 1.8T 10 years ago and can barely remember it:(

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's somebody near me with an S4 - that is one lovely sounding V8 (lovely burble at low revs, haven't heard it at full welly yet though!). wasn't the previous generation S4 a turbocharged 2.7?
The old one was a 2.7 twin turbo V6. Apparently you could remap about another 70bhp out of them.. :eek:

The V8 they replaced it with is a very lazy, torquey engine. But I suppose thats what they want in the S4, leave the massive power to the RS4..

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
the 450bhp c5 RS6 starts at £13k for high mileage ones but there are loads at 15 -18k 52-54 plate with 50 to75k on the clock, every toy you can think of, i prefer the avant to the saloon, the plus model had flappy paddles and 500bhp:eek: 0-60 4.8secs 155mph limited top speed.

i like the e46 M3 as well but the image is terrible, i dont have spikey hair, daft sun glasses or a borg implant or talk in management speak:rolleyes: plus only being 3 door its even worse than the 166 on practicality, 'er indoors has a little convertable so we need something to cart stuff about in, the rs6 seems perfect, big load space, looks good and goes like hot snot:D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep, if the reliability issues can be overcome (BMW and Merc turbos get eaten on a regular basis - trust me we have 1st hand experience of this!) then turbos on smaller engines are the way to go.

Twin turbo units from GM (Saab and later AR) and BMW 335 and 335d are great units with little or no lag!:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I have to agree with other peoples sentiments - especially now the EU are pressing on with drastically lower emissions - and that smaller capacity turbo/superchargers are the way to go.

Which I think means we won't be seeing a V8 159 or Brera

1 - 15 of 15 Posts