Alfa Romeo Forum banner

New AO Forum Set Up

4K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  Sterzo 
#1 ·
I know..... it's meant to be progress....but I HATE change....what was wrong with the old format???

#2 ·
Everyone hates change. But it has to come eventually.

When we changed to the version you're used to, many years back, there was a massive outcry about how terrible it was - but now people are talking about it being great and why did we have to change away from it.

My conclusion is that the issue is simply that there's been any change at all, not that the new is worse than the old. I'd say to give it a chance. In a couple of weeks time, you'll be as au fait with the new as you were with the old.

Reactions: David P
#5 ·
The old forum couldn't be tweaked anymore & there were ongoing issues that couldn't be resolved due to it's age & lack of development.

#7 ·
I have spent too long reading stuff I have already read and missing stuff I haven't :D
I use a few forums and they have the same version. This is different to all of them and bloody awful.
Hopefully I'll eventually get the hang of it, but so far it is pretty **** :D(y)

#44 ·
I have spent too long reading stuff I have already read and missing stuff I haven't :D
I use a few forums and they have the same version. This is different to all of them and bloody awful.
Hopefully I'll eventually get the hang of it, but so far it is pretty **** :D(y)
Same Canadian(?) company has been taking over several car forums and standardising on the look&feel. Which would be fine if it wasn't so "busy" ... mobile users will find it harder as there is too much text on view .. ads are just f'ing annoying, but running a website ain't cheap, as is that large photo section ... it all needs slimming back down to topics only .... I'll just not visit so often ...

#9 · (Edited)
This thread was imbedded with them including one for 'Ultimate ****'. That I don't need!
How do I reset cookies as Sterzo asks? Right at the bottom of the page is 'Cookie Peferences by TrustArc' and even though I've selected 'no' I'm still getting those ads.

#11 ·
Well, being part of a forum that already uses the xenforo platform this is fairly familiar (apart from the ads) so no problems with navigation. All good here.

The old forum, whilst being like a favourite comfy armchair, was fooked. It was slow and the way it kept trying to convince me I was using it in the wrong skin used to drive me to distraction. No, I shall not miss it.

#15 ·
#17 ·
I must admit, I really don't need to know that there's a "reaction score" judging how I act and interact here. It seems like something that could be too easily weaponized in a flame war: "of course what I say matters more, my reaction score is ten times better than yours" (using that vague number as an example because I have no idea what a good or bad score would actually be).

#18 ·
I agree. We’re not kids looking for likes or reactions, at least I’m not and judging by the posts I’ve read, neither are the other members here ( apologies for speaking on behalf of others). I wish to simply share in the Alfa ownership experience, helping where I can and seeking it when needed. Couldn’t care less about likes or not.

#19 ·
Having attempted on a couple of occasions to ‘watch’ TV in the US I find the site very much like that. I read a continuous thread of comments, it is not my usual practice to check first who has posted the comment. As a result having ‘someone’ shouting irrelevant comments through the threads about ‘miracle herbs for a weak urine stream’ or music doohickeys ‘designed for Italian cars’ (they are not ! ) is really irritating.

#22 ·
I have asked if it's possible to remove the inline adverts, and they're looking into it. Can't promise anything, but fingers crossed.
It'd kind of be nice I think if the borders between posts were a bit more defined too. That grey line is quite faint.

Reactions: Ralf S.
#25 ·
I think it's because your exact link address doesn't exist any more. I tried using that same address and got the same as you did.

Reactions: ItsMeMarty
#28 ·
I think it is fair to say that the new look forum will take some getting used to. The old Forum I found was easier to navigate, and could be customised to look almost identical to the one which I saw when I joined back in 2005.

It seems rather quiet here too right now, I was getting the "Oops we ran into problems" page for 2 days until I clicked on the alfaowner logo and found that it redirected here. I am wondering if many regulars just think that the forum is down?

Reactions: Ralf S.
#32 ·
I thank you, however for those who weren't aware The BORED were also running the old forum ? ? ?

( It's an issue with Regional Support accounts )

I miss my original Evil smilie :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.