Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i dont know if i'm being an idiot here or not...but i'm sure you lot will let me know! ive got a set of 17" team dynamics, i bought them off a mate who took them off his 156 but i cant get them to fit, bearing in mind i drive a 147 and im sure all the size requirements are the same. I know about the wobbly bolts but thats not the problem, when i try and push the wheel onto the hub theres some kind of bolt sticking out of the hub which is keeping the wheel away :mad: !? what is this? is there any way around it? can it be removed? any help will be much appreciated as i want to get these on as soon as possible!

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
I guess you mean the bolt/pin that holds the brake disc in place.

Your mate will have had the same bolt but may have either removed it completely or replaced it with a std bolt.

Do the new wheels have any recessed area behind them that would give space for a std bolt head?

The bolt is only there to prevent the disc from moving when the wheels are removed. When the wheels are on the car, that bolt isn't doing anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there isnt a recess but there are 10 holes in the alloys, 5 are the right size for my car and the other 5 are empty so i had presumed the bolt would have fitted through this hole but it doesn't. how would it best be removed? i tried to unscrew it earlier but it was stuck in tight, would it have to be grinded off? thanks

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Don't grind it off.
Just try harder to remove it.
It will be tight and the head is very thin so it won't be easy.
Use a well fitting ring spanner or long socket and a breaker-bar.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ive'given up trying not to be an idiot, when I try to prove otherwise, wife says "You're an idiot!" So I know. David C's indications are correct, but as I'm a bit dense, are we talking about the alignment pin that engages with the machined slots that are on the centre bore of the wheel, to facilitate wheel location,- as David says threaded through the disc centre?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yer thats the pin! yer i tried earlier with a spanner but it was just tearing the head up so i stopped before i made it any worse! I'll have another go tomorrow and let you know, otherwise i'll have to take it to a garage and let them deal with it...at my expence!:cry:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Right on David, 10mm Hex Flats at the base of the pin? Needs to be unscrewed. Then flat headed short bolt to clear centre bore? Guessing really, as this pin makes it easier for me to align the wheels when fitting same. Shan't be changing mine, so not sure what I'm talking about!!! As ever.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If it's seized and the flats are now rounded off, and Mole grips etc. skid round, you have to present a flat surface,(perfectly in the centre of the thread,)witness mark with felt tip,centre pot, slocombe bit, (centre drill,) then HSS drill, maybe 'easitout' tool, or HSS drill bit and re-tap threaded hole.Or hope it cames out easier with grips. Not easy, sure someone has an better method!Less Idiotic than mine!!!

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
If someone had put them on too tight, they are a complete b4st4rd to remove.
A good long socket is probably the best option if there is still some head left.

Small Stilsons on the pin may work too.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yep! right on David C, I get so muddled with advancing years,marking blue, felt tip before witness marking, not as I said previously, they can be a bas-----rial job, so I try not forget to copper slip the pins threads when I have the discs off.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I find a small metal-jawed vice handy for this sort of thing. Good for bleed nipples too. Tighten up as much as possible and twist :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Mole Grips, clamp as hard as you can. They will grip and give you the leverage you need. Had to do it on all of mine. The Hex Head is really soft.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had the same problem when I put 17" Wolfraces on my 155. 6 came out with a socket but I had to grind off the last 2. I sold my 155 and put the wheels on my wife's 145. All the hubs had been copper greased so all 8 pins came out really easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts