Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys , On Saturday i bought an Alfa 147 1.6 , the car was well maintained an serviced on time , every thing works as it should work it just needs the inside door switches for the windows

it also has a constant knocking noise while in gear and under load all gears , but if you put the clutch in or apply neutral and free wheel the noise goes away , does anyone know what this can be , the previous owner changed the left side inner an outer CV

any advise will be appreciated

Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice looking car mate:thumbup: Sounds like one or more of the CV's still needs doing. Second hand window switches especially the drivers one are very hard to come by. Luckily yours is a 2door so you could also use one from a GT. New prices are crazy!! I got a quote of R4500 for a new 4 door drivers side switch. It's possible to rebuild them in some cases.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Guys , On Saturday i bought an Alfa 147 1.6 , the car was well maintained an serviced on time , every thing works as it should work it just needs the inside door switches for the windows

it also has a constant knocking noise while in gear and under load all gears , but if you put the clutch in or apply neutral and free wheel the noise goes away , does anyone know what this can be , the previous owner changed the left side inner an outer CV

any advise will be appreciated

Regards
Nice car! Twinnies are really sweet and willing revvers and so much the better if looked after. Check top engine mount (top left in front of macpherson turret) and lower control arm bushes (left side more likely than right) - both these will knock/clonk under power. If it's lower control arm you'll need to replace the whole thing (lower control arm -) unless you are handy with a blowtorch because you can burn out the old and push in newbushes (there are pu ones) yourself. Cheers

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank guys for the heads up i will have a look this weekend , i have to admit the previous owner really took care of it , an for a small 1.6 it has enough power , the cats have been taken off already and after market branch put in :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Excellent buy Ryall. Well done!!!!
Do as Juniorgtar recommended, also have a look at the rear engine mount at the centre below, theres a small "frame mount" which could be broken. We had this prob on our 147

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Vees , where you lost long time :) , i will do all the checks , i still prefer the old alfas heheheh

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Congrats Ryloz! Stop lying. You aren't new to the Alfa family! :cheese:

How loud is the knock? Does it rise with revs? Could it be a main bearing? Big-ends knock louder off load.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its louder when you leave the accelerator , but if the car is in neutral or clutch pressed in the noise is gone

I'm glad with the consumption of the 1.6

New toy should I say :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this afternoon I dropped the car of at midlands motors (Alan) he has taken the r a drive an inspected it and told me that the noise is coming from inside the gearbox , so will it be better to get another gearbox or try fixing the original gearbox , both side CVs are new an all mountings are fine , the noise is only when you driving but once the clutch is in its gone , any info about this noise will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
On some gearboxes the selecter on the gear wear, then it touch the gears when it is not selected. I don't know how this happen, someone driving with hand or knee on the lever??

Meaning when 3rd, 4th or 5th is selected, 1/2nd selecter may not stay center and touch a gear. If it is the case it need to be changed. Sometimes a 2nd hand gearbox may be cheaper than the part.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Corrie , thanks for that , I will get another gearbox an put it on :) , when the car was up on the host and driven you can clearly see how it jumps at the diff side

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
many a gearbox noise issue sorted by dumping the oil and filling with ATF. Worth a try for a few litres of the stuff.

my conquest box was horrible, grinding changes etc - put ATF about 140 000km ago and its hundreds still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts