Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Firstly, complete Alfa newbie here - have searched the forums and there's some fantastic info...excited to learn more.

Just bought a 156 '03 2.0 JTS - hardly paid anything for it but it seems to be in pretty good shape all round. Have a few quick queries though.

- No service history so obviously I've budgeted in for a cam belt and all associated bits & pieces & water pump. It's on 99k - is there a way of telling if it's been done recently? I have some long journeys to do soon and I've discounted them until I have the cam belt sorted. I guess this is a wise move...?! Don't want to do it if it has just been done, but I'm erring on the side of caution and assuming the fact it's not been done was one of the motivations for getting rid of it. I'm also assuming inspecting the belt is a bit of a task in its own right...

- Heating controls are stuck on hot. Seems to be a problem with the dials on the facelift interior. Guess this is a case of a new unit...fairly easy to fit?

- Is there anywhere I can download the Alfa drivers manual and handbook etc? Also, is there a good place to get a radio code?

Few other small issues I've already found answers to on the forum so thanks guys. Look forward to getting involved.

Cheers,

Jacob

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes you can tell if it in needs to be changed but not 100% acurate

if your belt looks like this photo

http://www.marcodelange.nl/wp-content/gallery/timing-belt/belt-1.jpg

as you can see on the top part of the belt those chalky looking lines. This means car has done more 20k. i have done may timing belts on 156 before, just pull the cover back by hand or unscrew to also check condition of teeth. Belt after 10k hardly has any chalky lines. It should be black or close to smooth black for less than 20k.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If i saw chalky lines on the top part of the belt i would get it towed to get timing belt and wouldnt drive it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys - all very helpful. Booked it in on Saturday for an inspection and starting to get a few quotes from local places around Bristol. Obviously not much money to play with, but anyone recommend anywhere in the area?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Cheers guys - all very helpful. Booked it in on Saturday for an inspection and starting to get a few quotes from local places around Bristol. Obviously not much money to play with, but anyone recommend anywhere in the area?
Lots of us use Duncan Slade in Bristol. He's an independent and did my cambelt. I would recommend him.

info:
Duncan Slade
AlfaNet Services
86 Gordon Road, Whitehall, Bristol. BS5 7DP
07968 488942

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you mean the temp controls go to max hot and turning the dial doesn't change anything, then there's a fix involving soldering the optical chip back on behind the dial. Or you could replace the control panel as you say. One of my 156's has this problem on the drivers side control but I just use the passengers side one to adjust the drivers side to whatever I want (the system will only allow each side to be 7° apart so if you turn the passengers side down to 16° the drivers side will come down to 23°, etc).

Radio codes can be had from a post in the ICE lounge.

Get the cambelt done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys - just learnt the trick with the passenger temp control driving it yesterday. Think I'll just stick with that for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts