Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Its no good folks waxing lyrical about Alfa needing to produce a V6 RWD manual sports car, first the market will be small, ROI low and too many Alfisti would not buy until the car has depreciated to a few thousand quid, that wont help Alfa. In any market they need to sell mass market cars to start with, to re-energise the brand, so a range of (cross FCA/PSA platform?) Giuletta replacements is what should be paramount. I can understand, if not agree with, the desire to have various SUV's available, as that is what the fashion is, but unless Alfa Romeo can hit the market the same way the German brands have by swamping the market with cheap subsidised finance it wont work. The average Alfisti are more likely to be in the market for a £15-25K car than a £50-60K car.

·
Administrator
86,449 Posts

·
Registered
32,721 Posts
But then “The current CEO of FCA has not entered into details but has hinted that Giorgio (probably in an optimized and evolved version compared to the one that debuted with the Giulia) will continue to be used for the development of rear-drive models for different brands of the group.”

From https://www.clubalfa.it/76479-alfa-romeo-la-piattaforma-giorgio-continuera-ad-essere-utilizzata

“Maserati and Jeep will use the Giorgio platform

Currently, from Giorgio the FCA group has developed the Alfa Romeo Giulia and the Alfa Romeo Stelvio which, as confirmed by the new industrial plan, await the mid-career restyling to renew itself and attempt a commercial relaunch both in Europe and in North America. In 2021 the Maserati D-SUV will be debuting, which will be the only Trident model that will overlap with an Alfa Romeo model.”

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not surprising at all. FCA have no idea what to do with Alfa Romeo, never did really. Peugeot are none the smarter. All they care about is that such a "lesser" brand (in their eyes...) doesn't go and take the spotlight away from Maserati and now apparently Jeep.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For anyone who hasn't already seen, it's not just future planned models getting axed, according to Manley the Giorgio platform is also taking retirement after the Giulia, Stelvio & Giulietta finish using it https://www.alessioporcu.it/articoli/fca-manley-fine-ciclo-piattaforma-giorgio-alfa-romeo-giulia-stelvio/?fbclid=IwAR0gxhA4hI9uIM2jJ2L-J6PbmwNXocA7oli0y8kfUuIW-oCcqhe7BtHFoCc (Italian article but Chrome should translate it)
that would be disaster for Alfa, Peugeots fwds dressed as Alfas.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They are speculating -deal is not fully agreed. Tavares is not - yet - appointed as General Manager - but will be. La Familia won`t let Alfa slip away - they have the post of chairman.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aye! A Giulia coupe (it was touted as an Audi A5 type of car) is more of a GT replacement, rather than a GTV... so not a car I personally would have bought, either new or second-hand.

It's still a pity in some ways, since any car is usually better than no car... but at least we might hope that PSA-FCA has kept the cash back for a re-imagined strategy later, rather than spending it piecemeal.

If I was the bosses I would want to start with the volume cars and to be fair, the geezer has a good record with Vauxhall-Opel. PSA turned out the Vauxhall Crossland and Grandland from the 208 and 308 platforms respectively in fairly short order after they bought VxOpel. I'm not sure they've sold "millions" of them (check the prices! :eek: ) but they're reasonably competent cars and selling "okay".

Since the Peugeot 208/308 and the Corsa and Astra platforms are heading towards middle age now, I'm guessing they'll use their replacements to form the basis of any combined PSA-FCA model offensive.

I'm hoping Fiat gets another Punto - Sergio didn't like it (saw no prospect of it making too much profit at the time... :titanic: but surrendering the space where its sales would have put it was a mistake in my opinion). That can/ought to lead to a new MiTo. The PSA 208 is half decent so any commonly shared "next" platform ought to be good too, maybe even actually great.

A new Giulietta ought to be the next priority for Alfa, even if it's FWD. Nobody needs RWD at this size.. it has to be a "proper Alfa" in spirit and execution .. but also produce sales volume. Merc' A-class and BMW-1 are all over the place and they are offending my eyes! :judge:

Ralf S.
Fully agree. I want my next Alfa to be a new Giulietta. Preferably a hybrid or at least a very efficient small & powerful petrol engine. Am I being unrealistic?

·
Registered
32,721 Posts
Quite possibly. The fattening up for market involved moving upmarket to compliment the ranges of any merger partner such as PSA or Renault who’ve never had much success at that level. They may have a platform share candidate such as the 308..

21 - 29 of 29 Posts