Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
New GTV plans axed

Not a great surprise but still disappointing. Hopefully the crossovers make enough to fund a GTV down the road (wishful thinking I know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
New GTV plans axed

I’m really surprised that Alfa didn’t grab more custom with the launch of their two new arrivals in the Giulia & Stelvio. The Mito & Giulietta seemed to do well in attracting new buyers to their brand other than the loyal fans/owners.
In reality, it’s not going to get the backing for finance if they’re not selling their current range very well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The sad reality, as I said many many many times, is that the general public doesn't consider Alfa Romeo not only in the same league as Audi, BMW, Mercedes - actually not even with Volvo or Lexus. Except for us Alfisti and tha super-narrow market segment of drivers who want a car that's good to drive first and foremost, everyone will look at the price tag on a Giulia or a Stelvio and buy an Audi or a BMW.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I'm not at all surprised that their plain samey-samey looking but expensive cars aren't a sales hit.
As alluded to above, most buyers have stuck with or gone to the Germans who've been doing it for donkey's years.
They may well have decent engines and underpinnings, but where's the former trademark design flair gone?

·
Registered
196 Posts
To be honest, I'm disappointed but then at the same time not. Because the proposed new GTV was not shaping up to be a car I would actually buy. They were talking about a hybrid and AWD. So probably paddles shift too. Not what I would be looking for. I wanted a V6 RWD with a manual. Also most renders were looking more like a Giulia coupe than a true GTV. So it would be more a replacement for the Alfa GT than the 916.

But surprised I'm not at the slightest. Given how long they were taking anybody could see it coming. Specially after Sergio passed.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Aye! A Giulia coupe (it was touted as an Audi A5 type of car) is more of a GT replacement, rather than a GTV... so not a car I personally would have bought, either new or second-hand.

It's still a pity in some ways, since any car is usually better than no car... but at least we might hope that PSA-FCA has kept the cash back for a re-imagined strategy later, rather than spending it piecemeal.

If I was the bosses I would want to start with the volume cars and to be fair, the geezer has a good record with Vauxhall-Opel. PSA turned out the Vauxhall Crossland and Grandland from the 208 and 308 platforms respectively in fairly short order after they bought VxOpel. I'm not sure they've sold "millions" of them (check the prices! :eek: ) but they're reasonably competent cars and selling "okay".

Since the Peugeot 208/308 and the Corsa and Astra platforms are heading towards middle age now, I'm guessing they'll use their replacements to form the basis of any combined PSA-FCA model offensive.

I'm hoping Fiat gets another Punto - Sergio didn't like it (saw no prospect of it making too much profit at the time... :titanic: but surrendering the space where its sales would have put it was a mistake in my opinion). That can/ought to lead to a new MiTo. The PSA 208 is half decent so any commonly shared "next" platform ought to be good too, maybe even actually great.

A new Giulietta ought to be the next priority for Alfa, even if it's FWD. Nobody needs RWD at this size.. it has to be a "proper Alfa" in spirit and execution .. but also produce sales volume. Merc' A-class and BMW-1 are all over the place and they are offending my eyes! :judge:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Aye! A Giulia coupe (it was touted as an Audi A5 type of car) is more of a GT replacement, rather than a GTV... so not a car I personally would have bought, either new or second-hand.

It's still a pity in some ways, since any car is usually better than no car... but at least we might hope that PSA-FCA has kept the cash back for a re-imagined strategy later, rather than spending it piecemeal.
I doub that's the thinking. But let's hope. And yes, it is still a big pity.

If I was the bosses I would want to start with the volume cars and to be fair, the geezer has a good record with Vauxhall-Opel. PSA turned out the Vauxhall Crossland and Grandland from the 208 and 308 platforms respectively in fairly short order after they bought VxOpel. I'm not sure they've sold "millions" of them (check the prices! :eek: ) but they're reasonably competent cars and selling "okay".
I agree. But this is what Fiat and even Lancia is there for. Volume cars. I think it was Sergio who said Alfas shouldn't be cheap FWD things. Fiat is what should sell that.

Since the Peugeot 208/308 and the Corsa and Astra platforms are heading towards middle age now, I'm guessing they'll use their replacements to form the basis of any combined PSA-FCA model offensive.

I'm hoping Fiat gets another Punto - Sergio didn't like it (saw no prospect of it making too much profit at the time... :titanic: but surrendering the space where its sales would have put it was a mistake in my opinion). That can/ought to lead to a new MiTo. The PSA 208 is half decent so any commonly shared "next" platform ought to be good too, maybe even actually great.
I really don't see the need for a Mito. Leave that for Fiat and Lancia. Alfa should be premium performance. The Abarth 500 already does a great job in the mini performance side. Having cheap cars only cheapens Alfa.

A new Giulietta ought to be the next priority for Alfa, even if it's FWD. Nobody needs RWD at this size..
Sergio had said there would be no more FWD Alfas and I agree there shouldn't. Alfa needs to prove it can be premium. There is nothing premium about FWD. Mercedes and BMW can do it because they already proved they are premium.

it has to be a "proper Alfa" in spirit and execution .. but also produce sales volume. Merc' A-class and BMW-1 are all over the place and they are offending my eyes! :judge:
Mercedes and BMW have no real cheaper brands to push the mass volume sales to. The Smart brand is basically a failure and niche and Mini is a niche brand too. So they have to put out the cheap FWD stuff under their own brand. They figured they could do that without tarnishing their rep. But Alfa's reputation is already tarnished as is. Besides FCA has Fiat and Lancia for that.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
The GTV was vapourware for the buy-now PowerPoint under Marchionne aimed at making Alfa look like a profitable potential merger partner. The bigger-than-Stelvio SUV and a 169 were worked on an I heard secondhand that the latter looked better and more Alfa than the Giulia.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Giulietta replacement cancelled

Had an email from Al Volante today updating Alfa's plans for 2022 (confirmed by Quattroruote) - Giulietta replacement, GTV, large SUV and 6C all cancelled. Will the prospect of facelifts and Tonale be enough for dealerships to invest in Alfa?

·
Registered
101 Posts
A shame. Perhaps the tie-up with PSA might give them some more firepower to create some smaller cars. I doubt I’ll be replacing mine with an SUV, no matter what the badge.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
A shame. Perhaps the tie-up with PSA might give them some more firepower to create some smaller cars. I doubt I�ll be replacing mine with an SUV, no matter what the badge.

They will share platforms across the range that’s for sure,plenty of choice given the models of Vauxhall,PSA and FCA combined now. Makes commercial sense given how expensive it is to develop new models especially As the plan is to develop electric/hybrid cars aswell now

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I read that it was Giulietta, GTV, 8C & 5 Series rival being shelved. Completely understand them dropping the 8C and 5-Series rival as they won't shift either of them in any sort of volume (especially the 5-Series rival, given how badly the excellent Giulia sells), but the GTV & Giulietta replacement going is probably (yet another) mistake.

In another article one of FCA's top men suggested Fiat may move away from city cars. I understand why that market is a problem for profitability but it means Fiat will need to completely re-invent itself, as Alfa is having to.

Under the current set-up I'd have said it's likely to be the end of both brands as they've simply been far, FAR too slow to develop new models and the dealer network and customer base has shrunk as a result. However, given how well PSA have done in a short time with Vauxhall, I'm hoping some of their direction will rub-off on the FCA brands & we may end up with a continuous stream of new models being launched. So long as they're competitive I don't particularly care if they're on FCA or PSA platforms at this stage - in all but the case of the Giorgio (Giulia/Stelvio) platform, PSA's are better platforms anyway. Engine's are more difficult to pick between, but FCA's hybrid/electric tech is as-yet unproven.

A potential disaster for Alfa (and some other FCA brands) if they don't hit the ground running, but if this is an extention of PSA's work on Vauxhall, Alfa could do quite well and a new Giulietta might arrive afterall, especially given it's very hard to believe FCA when they launch a new product plan on what seems like an annual basis and none come to fruition without significant alteration.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So cheaper models that serve the purpose of introducing a marque to the young are to be shelved. That’s great thinking for the long term. If the merger with PSA happens maybe Tavares will have a different idea. The current visionless (for Alfa) second-rater has no idea. Just sell more Jeeps, hey Manley.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So cheaper models that serve the purpose of introducing a marque to the young are to be shelved. That’s great thinking for the long term. If the merger with PSA happens maybe Tavares will have a different idea. The current visionless (for Alfa) second-rater has no idea. Just sell more Jeeps, hey Manley.
To be fair FCA started that approach under Marchionne with the lack of MiTo replacement, but I agree about Mike Manley. His approach to Alfa so far and comments from him suggesting Fiat should move away from A-Segment cars suggests the man has no clue whatsoever about the brands he's in charge of. I'd have thought even a low margin but high-volume entry Alfa to get people into the brand, plus at least one A-segment Fiat, is essential, particularly given that Fiat basically excel in nothing else other than A-segment (500 & Panda) and B-segment (Punto), which they coc*ed up by not replacing years ago.

If anything i think FCA brands (especially Fiat and Alfa) have better prospects with PSA involved than being left alone with Manley.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts