Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Recently bought a 2011 GQV! It has about 60 000 km on it and needs to go for a service in the next month. I was wondering what garage/dealership around the JHB region do you guys recommend and prefer? Also what types of known issues do I need to look out for or perhaps ask the dealership to check during the service?

Additionally I would like to ask you guys who you would trust with mag repairs? I bought the car with some scratches here and there on the Turbine mags it came out with as well as a very slightly bent front right rim. I would like to have these refurbished and the rim straightened.

Finally if you guys have any specific advice for keeping the car in a great running condition please share!

Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Don't drive the car...get the oil drained and new Selenia GQV specific oil put in ASAP.
Change oil every 10000km.
Come buy some parts from me...like lowering springs/rims etc.:thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't drive the car...
I disagree, enjoy the car!!! Nothing better than putting mileage on a car that makes you smile.

Take the car to Arnold Chatz and have them do the 60 point check and ask someone to pull up the history of the car. What parts were ever bought etc. And replace anything that looks dodgy with genuine parts when you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Guili
Thanks for the offer but I would like the keep the car standard for the time being. Where are these oils available? I am guessing a dealership will change the oil for me during the 60k km service as stipulated. Where do you service your vehicle or do you DIY?
@Charlin
Thanks for the advice! The car drives too well for me to just leave it in the garage haha.. I have read around the forums some and have come across some complaints regarding Arnold Chatz. Some people claiming that they don't pick up faults, bad service etc. I gather you have had some positive personal experience with them?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi there and welcome!

With regards to servicing, as I understand Arnold Chatz have a new service manager, and they should stock the correct oil so I would check with them first? Also, as I mentioned a few times, and against the opinions of many, I would try to be present during services if possible. They do stock the correct Selenia Sport Power 5W-40 used for the GQV. Also, the service interval on the 1750 has been reduced to 1year/15k km IIRC. Ensure that the oil was indeed changed when required, and with the correct spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info regarding the service interval! I have the full service history showing yearly services since the car was registered in December 2011. I just hope they did the previous services properly. Fingers crossed. I will give Arnold Chatz a call and see when they will be able to help me. Thanks again for the advice. Any idea regarding a good refurbishment shop for the mags?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent experiences with Arnold Chatz. Just do your own research on any issues you experience and at least have an idea of what/why things are broken instead of placing blind faith in the person on the other side of the desk.

Regarding the wheels, the scratches can be repaired using a DupliColor refurb kit. Buckles I'm not really sure where to get that done.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Agreed with Chaplin, need to do some research before blindly trusting anyone, not just for your Alfa but in life too.
I got good service from Chatz too, but still waiting for my steering wheel. Haha, generally their parts department sucks.

For your GQV, always use the Selenia Oil and occasionally take a blast to let your engine open up her throat. That's what I do to my GQV. Still miss her...:depressed:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys. Will have them check her out as soon as I get a change. Will post feedback on how the service went and if they found any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fun story.

Pulled up to the driveway of a friend of mine that I was picking up yesterday. While I was waiting in the car 2 kids that were playing on the sidewalk ran up to my window. When I opened up the window to say hi the one kid immediately asked me if this was a Lamborghini. Think I was still grinning about it this morning :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hi 756. Congrats and welcome! Dealers usually charge an arm and a leg for a mere oil service. I buy the Selenia oil and filter from the dealer and have it changed by an independent mech. Far, far cheaper.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Regarding the mags, I've used Wheel Collision in Longmeadow last year. Probably a bit pricey but the service was excellent. They were very honest in letting me know that only one wheel was buckled and not all of them. Other places could easily have charged me for more wheels without having to do anything.

WHEEL COLLISION - CONTACT

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
GQV's attract ALOT of attention...imagine the attention one that's ultra low and looks awesome gets...my wife don't even want to drive the car anymore.:thumbup:

best looking hatches on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Guili Allways the salesperson aren't you :D haha

I will definitely buy an extra refill of oil and a new filter when the car goes for it's service. I will swap it out every 6months or so. Hope the service doesn't cost more than the car :biglaugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys,

Just reporting back as promised. Had my car serviced at Arnold Chatz Hyde park this weekend. They say that the car is in great shape mechanically and I got an additional surprize, the service plan will still be valid until the end of 2017! Service tech told me that the proper service intervals for the car are every 2 years 35 000 km. Not too sure about this as you guys have mentioned some different figures. I will just try to change the oil on a regular basis and keep an eye and ear out for any other niggles I might find. All in all, still very happy with my buy. Even more so now that it has been looked over and no issues were found!

Thanks for the advice :D

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Advisable to change oil every 10 or 15k.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Welcome.. Congrats on the Giulietta.

Ian my GQV is every 15k service. Apparently applies to all Giulietta QVs now.

Pics to prove you own one :cheese:

Reactions: Speenvark
1 - 20 of 31 Posts