Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OKay - that's probably why I haven't heard of it. We live near Stockport.

Got a really annoying squeak/squeal that starts after doing a few miles in the MG. It sounds like it's coming from one of the back wheels. My other half reckons it may be a wheel bearing?

Do you know anywhere that repairs hoods? My hood is a bit faded, but watertight. One of the poppers that fastens it has torn away from the fabric. I should get a new hood really but after spending £500 on it this year to sort out the overheating, plus the problems with the Alfa, it seems an unnecessary expense at the mo.

Have you ever had anyone saying it's not a 'proper' MG as it has got rubber bumpers. It drives me mad!! :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
What was causing yours to overheat? I had a fuel vaparisation problem, which, after replacing the radiator, water pump, expansion tank cap, and fitting a kenlowe fan, turned out to be an ignition problem, cured by fittign an Aldon flame thrower system.

As for the hoods, I think any sowing shop should be able to fix it. Mines got a small hole in it now, so I'm dropping hints to the wife what to get me for my birthday :)

Yeah, some moron did tell me it wasn't a proper MG as it had rubber bumpers, but they said the chrome bumper ones were really Austin Healy's. We also have a 1958 MG Magnette ZB, and they were criticised when they came out for being Wosley's!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It was overheating because the radiator was gunged up and blew the head gasket. My dad suggested that maybe I should get a kenlowe fan fitted - does it help?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Lazy blue said:
It was overheating because the radiator was gunged up and blew the head gasket. My dad suggested that maybe I should get a kenlowe fan fitted - does it help?
Well, I'm not too sure at the moment. The problem with them is that you have to fit them infront of the radiator (rather than behind) which means that they do restrict airflow...hence the reason they seem to run a bit hotter, and in weather like we're having now that's not good. However, I once had a situation when, on a long motorway journey I came to an abrupt halt. The mechanical fan found it difficult to cope as the car wasn't moving, at least the Kenlowe will be better under those situations.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hate to break up the MG chat (!) but welcome to the forum. The airbag light is nothing major. When my 147 was new it came on and off a few times in the first 18 months of ownership, but hasn't given me any problems for a while. I suspect the dealer just removed the bulb......however, someone pointed out that whilst it's on, your airbag won't work, so drive safe!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Lazy :) ,
You should come to the whipping stocks on the third thursday of the month, thats on the A50 going out of knusford towards homes chappel, theres usually about 20 people with cars ranging from 164, 155,33,SZ,146,147,75, and spider, plus a few older cars sometimes show up,a nice friendly bunch of all ages who have alfa,s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for that dasiy. I may well do that.

Taken the 147 to Alfie at Heath Road today to sort the airbag problem after picking up lots of recommendations on the forum. So far so good, he's confident he's fixed it - he has had to take a connector plug and solder some wires apparently. Got it serviced as well as off on hols to N Wales next week. Looking forward to a longish drive to blow off his cobwebs. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts