Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I recently bought a guilietta. Have had many many previous cars. Having four kids went from the classic 1980s hot hatch period through to the sensible german cars. Never driven or considered an Alfa but thought why not. Always was put off but the dreaded reliability issue. Like many I guess who haven’t been in an Alfa. Any how I bought this cheap little 1.4 guilietta. Thinking it will do until I find what is dare I say a more sensible car. So my ugly yet dependable Vw ( more on that in a moment) finally thank god drove its Last mile. So if Alfa’s are unreliable compared to German cars I am doomed. My vw which was maintained to their spec suffered this.....a new abs pump, two starter motors, a pulley wheel just fell off, the dmf was about to fail, dsg box hanging on by a thread, turbo packed up in the end. An average of nearly a 1000 per year to maintain. All with just around 108000 on the clock. So I personally don’t believe the sworn vw or Audi can be better than an Audi.
now to the beautiful Alfa I am owning. Inside practicality if you want to be boring is well non existent, maybe Italians thought, sunglasses, loafers and a bottle of wine all that you need in car. But after my giggle at what you can’t fit in your then left with a design interior that is just not what you would expect from a car the size and price of a Vauxhall’s Astra. I was gobsmacked as I sat there with the engine running. It good on the outside and inside. The first drive in normal mode was yep this is a standard 1.4. But a flick to dynamic....well let’s just say how on earth from a small engine did they get those horses. The handling was so much fun. Ok I’m older than most I guess. At 49 it was like a blast from the past in a modern car. It was exceptional. I remember my youth driving the whole ford Xr series and r. The occasional lancia and the highly underestimated mg maestro turbo. This little 1.4 under its skin is all those rolled into one. How on earth it happened I don’t know. But to any middle aged man who grew up driving in the 1980s period get one! It like the ford boys from Dagenham had a busmans holiday to Italy sat with a few Ferrari designers and in the worlds apart in which they live made this car. So to Alfa drivers who have driven them for years finally I get it.They actually build cars to be driven by people who like to drive. What Alfa offer is something special, they are different to everyone. But most of all in such a short space of time this previously poorly treated car is going to be built up best I can to the perfection Alfa made it originally. If reliability is the truth which I doubt it is then it would be worth it.
Thank you alfa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts