Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been doing a load of research on Alfa Romeo's and the feedback wasnt very promising to how reliable they were but it being said that they are alot of fun so i though F*** IT im going to get one. A few years back my brother owned a 147 Tspark lusso black with red leather interior. It was amazing. He never really had any major promlems with it as he looked after it and i thought "one day i will have that car". Last weekend i went out and bought a 2003 147 1.6 Tspark lusso with 63,000 on the clock and i must say "WOW". It even beats driving my brothers C32 AMG. The ride comfort, the style and the gadgets. I am most pleased so far but just a couple of small issues.

1. Knocking coming from front near side wheel
2. Air bag light always on

I will be heading down the garage to check these problems out and if anyone has any ideas on what these issues could be, that would be great. So far i have heard that the airbag could be due to faulty connection under seat (common problem) and the knocking due to either the anti roll bar or the drop link on that side. Also does anyone know of any meets that happen near brighton as i am most interested in seeing whats in store for a next car :lol:
Cheers Guys and Gals

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My GT has a knock on the front. Possibly both sides which I believe is the anti-roll bar drop links. I have them and am just waiting for the weather to warm a little. It does on cold days creak on the front offside too. Probably needs new upper wishbones. Not sure if the 147 is the same but possibly as the GT is a mixture of that and the 156.

Air bag light. Mine does that. Again certainly on the GT that can be an issue with the passenger side sensor. I would go over a bump and the light would come on. After a minute or so off again. I took disconnected at the multi plug and sprayed WD40 (A contact cleaner would be better) and it has been OK since.

Welcome to AO BTW :D :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Hi Rikki, welcome to Alfa Owner from me in actual Brighton :thumbs:

There are not many garages around here you could take it to MDZ Italtec in Charlwood, near Gatwick (that's who I use), Monza Sport in Ashington (not cheap but I've never heard anything negative about them), or Rusper Alfa in Rusper, near Horsham.

As for meets, we haven't had one for a while and generally there aren't that many down here but do keep an eye on the south east lounge, or put up a thread and see who wants to come along!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Starkers I have read on the paperwork that some of the work done on the car was done at Monza Sport so maybe try them as Ashington is 5 mins down the road, not incredibly fussed on the price as you get what you pay for. Yeah I agree malcQV, the drop links seem to be the obvious ones so I think I will take it to the garage to get conformation on what it is and then do the work myself providing it is an easy job :rolleyes: Thanks for your help and welcome its much appreciated.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.......:thumbs:
I'm glad that most people think Alfas are unreliable.....it makes them more exclusive on the road.......and Alfa drivers are the ones who are smiling the most......

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Hey Starkers I have read on the paperwork that some of the work done on the car was done at Monza Sport so maybe try them as Ashington is 5 mins down the road, not incredibly fussed on the price as you get what you pay for..
True enough - I think they prepare a race car or two (the hint might be in the name.... :p)

Whereabouts are you then, in the 'ham?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically there is a tiny bit of play in the wishbone and the front anti roll bar bushes are a bit worn. Not a nice job but well worth doing. The drop links are pretty new so there OK but in general he said that the car has been well looked after and a pleasure to drive which is good considering he drives so many of them. Sorry about all the full stops my comma key is broken. By the way im from a small village called Steyning. Just down the road from Shoreham-By-Sea. Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts