Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i have a 146 , 1.8 twinspark , r plate
it has been standing for about 2 years before i got it ,
i have a big problem on start up , it goes straight to full revs !
it was ok to start with except for a sticky accelerator pedal , so i disconected it at both ends to make sure it was moving ok and when i reattached it , problem arose , your help would be much appreciated

many thanks

kev

real alfa newbie . its my first one

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Did you sort it?

If it was fine before you fixed it.. :D then you probably left the throttle fully open somehow.

Take the cable off and try re-fitting it... but pay attention to the cable routing. It should be in the right place and not kinked or trapped.

The throttle cable should have some slack in it when you're not pressing it. If yours is under tension then that means you probably routed it wrong.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt remove the cable , just disconnected one end at a time , have googled and found out the ecu needs to reset after accelerator cable change ( i substituted changed for messed around with lol ) and it needs the battery disconnecting , could take a few times ,
still no luck as of yet though :(

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
That sounds unlikely to me... the throttle "off" position isn't held static by the cable.

With no cable, the throttle "off" position doesn't change.. so the ECU doesn't "know" that the cable has been removed. It's more likely to be a stuck throttle butterfly or, less severe, a leak in the intake or a sensor problem.

Start at the basic stuff.. make sure that mechanically the throttle is closed, that the butterfly is also closed and that there are no air leaks between airbox and manifold and that all the wiring looks intact. It's more likely that when you were taking the cable off, you may have pulled the gas open and jammed the butterfly.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi , have checked everything out , and she needs a new throttle cable , there is something jamming between pedal and business end !

towed down to local garage to get brakes sorted on saturday and there gonna drop a throttle cable on too , and hopefully get her MOT'd

thanks for your help and advice ,
will post updates on progress as it happens !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts