Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello all this is my first post on here but i recently got a new 02 plate 147 1600 tspark as my daily and ive got a few niggles i want to sort out with your help

1) The rear wheel bearing is going so could anyone recommend the cheapest place for one as im going to do it myself soon.

2)The gear stick moves about 2 inches side to side and is a bit sloppy (but it isnt stiff)

3) The car needs a fulls service minus the belts, i was looking for advice on which plugs i should use and which oil, i was planning to use 5,40 fully synth gulf racing oil if this is ok as i use it in my brothers exige aswell so i can share top ups? and just get the oil and pollen filter from halfrauds. Also Is the pollen filter hard to do and where is it located and do i need to do fuel filters at 73k too?

4) Rear screen washer does nothing?

5) Finally the car seems to be difficult to get into gear at times and sometimes the box gives a squalk when you put it in reverse, it drives fine with no issues and never will do it whilst driving no matter what revs but i do feel a slight delay in the car pulling away and a slight nod of the transmission so i was wondering if there is any mounts than commonly fail on the 147's that would cause any movement and thus harder change.

Ive been quite anal about some issues but im going to do all the work in one go and make a nice car or her as shes mint bar a few niggles and all the electrics are perfect.

Cheers for the help in advance mick

G

·
0 Posts
Pollen filter location and how to:
A picture paints a thousand words: In Japanese but you will find it easy enough
¥¤¥¿¥ê¥¢¼«Æ°¼Ö»¨²ßŹ

Gear selector issue:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/293912-147-sloppy-into-second-gear.html

TS engines will run happily on 5w-40, 10w-40 or for the more "retentive" of us even 10w-60! Take your choice an pay your money... 25 years experience tell me that oil is oil and with Alfa's it all depends on how much usage the TS engine goes through on natural "burn off" 1000miles per 1 ltr is not unusual, so 10w-60 can help that scenario. If it uses no oil then 10w40 will be fine... Just change it more often (6000 miles) Your engine will thank you for it... Some people buy expensive oils and wonder why the have issues, oil has a an effective shelf life in an engine enviroment before it starts to loose it's protective properties
Price and name is automatically no guarantee of preventing this, regular servicing is!

Dont bother with halfords for filters, try fram or original alfa OE they aren't that expensive

Sparkplugs can be had from any motor factor, don't go silly makes and prices it wont make any difference numbers you need are here: http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/147_Spark_Glow_Plug.shtml

Wheel bearing is an all in one unit but before you go replacing it just yet, jack up the rear corner, check for any play and spin the wheel to check for a grumble... If its just a grumble then swap the wheel itself rear to front and take it for a spin... if it disappears or changes position of the sound then its the Lusso alloy itself probably buckled....
If there is play and the grumble then:
Here you go: as good as any place really
Alfa Romeo 147 Wheel bearing

Difficulty getting into gear could be your selector issue... Or this: How To... Remedy a non selecting 4th Gear
Or, what I would put my money on... Low gearbox oil level... Drain and replace it while you are doing the service... it wont harm it and really should be done every two years or 24000 anyway.

No fuel filter to my knowledge on a 147, internal fuel pump gauze assembly aka. non servicable item!

Very doubtful that the engine or gearbox mount has gone on a 1.6, same mounts on a 2.0 TS with more torque and power and no real issues there to speak of but worth checking for excess movement with a large pry bar, a trolley jack and torch.... Jack up the gearbox slightly and inspect the rubber bush for splits with the torch. now do the same with the pry bar rocking the block back and forth.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pollen filter location and how to:
A picture paints a thousand words: In Japanese but you will find it easy enough
¥¤¥¿¥ê¥¢¼«Æ°¼Ö»¨²ßŹ

Gear selector issue:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/293912-147-sloppy-into-second-gear.html

TS engines will run happily on 5w-40, 10w-40 or for the more "retentive" of us even 10w-60! Take your choice an pay your money... 25 years experience tell me that oil is oil and with Alfa's it all depends on how much usage the TS engine goes through on natural "burn off" 1000miles per 1 ltr is not unusual, so 10w-60 can help that scenario. If it uses no oil then 10w40 will be fine... Just change it more often (6000 miles) Your engine will thank you for it... Some people buy expensive oils and wonder why the have issues, oil has a an effective shelf life in an engine enviroment before it starts to loose it's protective properties
Price and name is automatically no guarantee of preventing this, regular servicing is!

Dont bother with halfords for filters, try fram or original alfa OE they aren't that expensive

Sparkplugs can be had from any motor factor, don't go silly makes and prices it wont make any difference numbers you need are here: Alfa Romeo 147 Spark/Glow Plugs

Wheel bearing is an all in one unit but before you go replacing it just yet, jack up the rear corner, check for any play and spin the wheel to check for a grumble... If its just a grumble then swap the wheel itself rear to front and take it for a spin... if it disappears or changes position of the sound then its the Lusso alloy itself probably buckled....
If there is play and the grumble then:
Here you go: as good as any place really
Alfa Romeo 147 Wheel bearing

Difficulty getting into gear could be your selector issue... Or this: How To... Remedy a non selecting 4th Gear
Or, what I would put my money on... Low gearbox oil level... Drain and replace it while you are doing the service... it wont harm it and really should be done every two years or 24000 anyway.

No fuel filter to my knowledge on a 147, internal fuel pump gauze assembly aka. non servicable item!

Very doubtful that the engine or gearbox mount has gone on a 1.6, same mounts on a 2.0 TS with more torque and power and no real issues there to speak of but worth checking for excess movement with a large pry bar, a trolley jack and torch.... Jack up the gearbox slightly and inspect the rubber bush for splits with the torch. now do the same with the pry bar rocking the block back and forth.

Thanks for the help bud ill look into the issues with what youve said but it seems the car will run off any 5-40 oil? and set of plugs so there is no benefit to using ngk plats then?

You reminded me about the box oil, should i use oe or i could get some redline racing gear off opie? its worked wonders on the brother exige as there renound for having notchy boxes.

Ill have to get it on a ramp for the gear selector it seems and see whats creating the extra play as it gets gears fine it just has alot of play in between.

The wheel bearing is definetly gone as its sounds like im in a 747 when on the motorway:lol: and its the same sound my 156 had so ill have to get one ,

btw is the pollen filter an easy one then or do the parts of the dash that need removing pose a challenge

cheers mick

G

·
0 Posts
Some swear by NGK platinum but I have tried them and made no difference to how my TS's performed or how long they lasted mate... usually its the coil packs that go first anyway :lol:

Pay attention to any old oil down the spark plug wells when you take them out... clean it out thoroughly to prevent any issues with misfires once you have changed them ok.

As long as its the correct viscosity and GL directive any gearbox oil make is good enough, lets not forget here.... Its an alfa, but its just a car like anything else on the road mate... ;) Your service and owners book will have the correct type to use in it:thumbs:

Pollen filter is easy enough to do once the L shaped bracket is removed, just remember which way the arrows go on the old one.

If you are doing the air filter too read the tutorials on airboxes or do a forum search to save pain and heartache from eventual MAF failure due to bad fitment and lack of cleaning... You will be fine:thumbs:

There is a nifty temporary fix with cable ties (piccy) on that link for the gear selector issue if that is what it is... Genius idea really:D

Any probs if I can help let me know:thumbs:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Anyone know the part numbers for ngk plugs and what box oil i need is the alfa recommendation best?

And how do i tell if my car needs the 30mm or 35mm hub

cheers mick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts