Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has just bought a 2006 Alfa GT JTS. It's done 36k and I've got it booked in for a service and Cam belt change at Alfa Tune (St. Helens). Being new to Alfa's is there anything I should be particularly looking out for with this model?
One thing my wife did notice was some steering wheel vibration at 70 mph. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Welcome, peno123.

What a great buy your wife has made!!!!!! I had a couple of things that needed doing. Nothing major.

The overflow pipe from the air con. was a bit to short and this caused a wet patch on the passenger side foot well. All OK now.

The other thing that went wrong was the clutch peddle. There is a small split pin that connects the clutch cable to the peddle and if this is not replaced (under warrantee) it can snap off. This happened to mine and to cut a long story short I needed a new gearbox. Under warrantee, of course.
Don't panic too much as these should have been done under the recall service.
My GT goes like the wind with no problems and I'm sure you will have many, many happy and trouble free miles of motoring.

As for the vibrations on the steering wheel, it could just be that the front wheels need balancing front

Peter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Peter, much appreciated. You're right too, beautiful car and the wife loves it. Looks like I won't be getting to drive this too often!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great Car, You will both love it!

My Wheels were the same when i bought my.

Tyres Balanced and the front ones swapped with the back ones as there was a slight buckle in the drivers front one.

All fixed and cost £8

Simple!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I had some steering wheel vibration at 70 mph. Had a flat spot on the front wheel after hitting a pot hole. Needed a new wheel!! Sorted the problem though!! This happens quite a lot on these according to my alfa man!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I had some steering wheel vibration at 70 mph. Had a flat spot on the front wheel after hitting a pot hole. Needed a new wheel!! Sorted the problem though!! This happens quite a lot on these according to my alfa man!!
A result of the bone-breaking ride no doubt?

·
Registered
296 Posts
great choice Peno.
it says somewhere on the forum that you should change the water pump when you do the fan belt. The bearings have been known to fail which in turn takes out the cam belt.
The GT is the prettiest looking car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome, peno123.

The other thing that went wrong was the clutch peddle. There is a small split pin that connects the clutch cable to the peddle and if this is not replaced (under warrantee) it can snap off. This happened to mine and to cut a long story short I needed a new gearbox. Under warrantee, of course.
This just happened to me and i didnt need a new gearbox, just the pin replacing, which cost about £3 part and half an hour labour!

Apparently they have reinforced the pin but to look at it you wouldnt think so! Its probably worth buying this part and keeping it in the car so if it does happen your roadside service should be able to fit it.

Good luck with the GT its a lovely car, ive had mine for a month now and am loving it!

·
Registered
941 Posts
This just happened to me and i didnt need a new gearbox, just the pin replacing, which cost about £3 part and half an hour labour!

Apparently they have reinforced the pin but to look at it you wouldnt think so! Its probably worth buying this part and keeping it in the car so if it does happen your roadside service should be able to fit it.

Good luck with the GT its a lovely car, ive had mine for a month now and am loving it!
Foss99,

The reason I needed a new 'box was that at the same time I lost synchro between 1st and 2nd gear. Maybe a coincidence????? It was done under warrentee (eventually) But this is a whole other story!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts