Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, How we all doing? Im Harry Thought it introduce myself.

Been snooping on the forum over the last few weeks as im picking up my first Alfa next Saturday and thought id take the plunge and sign up.

Never had am Alfa before, very excited lol.

Picked up and GT JTS 2.0 with 50k on the clock and wondered if theres anything I should know?

After reading some posts on here ive decided to get it remapped straight away and wondered if theres any decent garages near Glasgow that do this?

Look forward to hearing back from you all.

Harry

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi there, great choice !

I would strongly recommend putting injector cleaner in the tank about once a month, stops these engines from clogging up with carbon deposits.
You will probably need to replace the door handles in time as they break at the hinge, very common problem, had to change both of mine in the last two years, really its just small niggles with them, which you can live with on such a beautiful design

hope you enjoy it :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Use the remap money to be spent on changing the cambelt and service.

Peace of mind of three years or 36k.
Too many new owners end up with a dead petrol engine due to this...

other than that lovely car enjoy it.

The jts isn't as bad as people would have you believe if people kept on top of maintenance.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have been a bit of a JTS basher in the past but as scotty said its ok, not as characterful as the TS it replaced but if you have a good one pushing out the full 165 BHP it will be fun to drive..

could not agree more with scotty on the belts and service, if you are buying from a dealer I would stipulate they do it as a condition of sale if you are in the position to do so...

a couple of pointers for you with the JTS, check the oil levels at least once a week as 1l of consumption every 1000km is normal on these engines 10/60 is the recommended spec, keep a litre in the boot. secondly they are much happier on premium fuel ,noticable difference in performance, and thirdly as bertony Gt says a regular dose of injector cleaner does wonders with those engines.

re-map won't get you much BTW but will improve throttle response.

congrats and enjoy:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remaps are very expensive on the JTS and not really worth it. I would go down the BMC air filter or CDA if avaliable and a performance exhaust route, still not many gains but it will help it breathe better and bring the sound of the JTS to life which I remember sounding alright anyhow. Have fun. You will feel a million dollars driving a GT

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi Harry - well done with your new car, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. As mentioned above there are some negative views of the JTS engine by on here but I think it's the best compromise of all the engines in the GT range. As to what you should know - if you look at the threads pinned at the top of this forum you'll see the "tech info - fault guides" and "known issues" threads; tons of expert practical advice there.

As others said a remap is not worthwhile on this engine - you may get another 10 -15 bhp from a good one; but that would only have minimal impact on the way it drives. It's the diesel engines that gain massively from remaps.

I find the car a joy to drive in its standard form. Decent power across the entire rev range and surprisingly good torque even at low revs (you don't need to be constantly changing gears to keep on the sweet spot) it makes for relaxed long distance driving - which is what a "GT" is supposed to be for isn't it?

It's the fuel delivery system on this engine that gives it this flexibility - it's an early example of "direct injection". Petrol at very high pressure is metred precisely directly into the individual cylinders. This allows for a much more accurate fuel to air mixing ratios, allowing a leaner burn and more efficient power production. Each cylinder has its own injector and these are of an extremely high engineered accuracy to work as designed. And it is from this where I believe the negative views of the engine mostly arise.

If these injectors go "off spec" the metering of the fuel to air mix goes wrong (sometimes dramatically) but this event is nowhere near as common as some may suggest. My own view is that it is primarily poor quality fuel that gives rise to excessive wear (or to blockages) in the injectors.

When I first got mine my first job was to run a couple of rounds of "Wurth" injector cleaner through it. This made the engine run even sweeter than it had before (and I wasn't all that concerned about roughness anyway). Then I changed fuel to Shell V Power IMO it does make a difference on these engines not just in performance but in keeping the injectors in best condition. Mine's got just shy of 100,000 miles on it now and it still drives delightfully. It's never missed a beat and nothing mechanical in the engine has ever let me down.

I hope you're as lucky with your car as I was with mine. Once again - enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

Funny that someone should mention the door handles as the garage is replacing one of those for me before I pick it up. The car i'm getting has the full service history and the belt was replaced at 40k according to the history so have a wee while before I need to do that again.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the premium fuel, does it really make a difference? I thought about getting the JTD but i do less than 9k a year so economy wasnt really a factor.

1l of oil every 1000 miles? Wow, thats a lot of oil. Will defo keep on top of that.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Welcome to the world of GT ownership! They are lovely.

As others have said a remap on petrol JTS engine won't give you that much BHP, if you are going to do it I would advise replacing the manifolds with catless manifolds and improving your exhaust system first, to get the most out of a map.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Funny that someone should mention the door handles as the garage is replacing one of those for me before I pick it up. The car i'm getting has the full service history and the belt was replaced at 40k according to the history so have a wee while before I need to do that again.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the premium fuel, does it really make a difference? I thought about getting the JTD but i do less than 9k a year so economy wasnt really a factor.

1l of oil every 1000 miles? Wow, thats a lot of oil. Will defo keep on top of that.
Harry, not every JTS uses that much oil

Looking back at my records, mine has only used 1/2 a litre in the last 5000 miles.
Its well worth checking the oil at least once a week though

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I guess any 10w60 synthetic oil will be fine. I've found the cheapest available is Agip Racing, but that will differ depending on where in the world you are and what deals you can get. The important thing in my opinion is to change the oil and filter every 6000 miles not every 12000 miles as specified. 10W60 oils will break down faster than a modern style 10W30 and the DI system can result in petrol contamination of the oil which is bad.

My JTS is approaching 160,000 km also and uses 1 litre about every 5000km.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Harry, I have run two twin sparks in the past, they also say up to 1Lt per 1,000 km and neither of them used any where near that much.
Just check it regularly till you get a feel for how much it uses. I also agree with more frequent oil/filter changes.
Enjoy

·
Registered
656 Posts
+ yet another 1 for the lower oil consumption - mine and most others,so far as I know, are not nearly that bad; although they all do use some. My last two cars before this one were both six-pot BMWs and both of them NEVER needed oil between changes, so getting used to checking the dipstick was a routine I had to re-learn. I think the litre per 1000km is mostly a defense for the manufacturer and dealers in extreme cases - " it's not a fault sir that's a characteristic of the vehicle".

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Some engines through out different brands use oil. Most higher performance ones tend to.

But TS and JTS engines really can be pot luck on whether they use oil or dont.

Generally though there are more scare issues.

As long as the sump seals. Rocker cover seals and the breathers are doing their jobs it should be quite minimal. Unless there is an issue with the control / oil rings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive never had to top up oil in any car ive had yet, usually just get the car serviced every year and leave it to them. This will be something different lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive never had to top up oil in any car ive had yet, usually just get the car serviced every year and leave it to them. This will be something different lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts