Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Nathan from Lincolnshire.

I picked up my 2006 GT JTDM today and am totally smitten with it.

I bought it as a second car as a fun alternative to using my 2012 BMW 520d M Sport. The car is nice and straight, FSH, just had a new clutch and flywheel with 82k on the clock which it wears fairly well.

Things to report from my first drive (around 80 miles from home). The car drives like a dream, engine and gearbox appear to be well looked after and it seems to handle as well, if not a little more direct than my beemer. First gear appears a little short but it seems this is normal. Electrics all work as they should which surprised me a little.

The car could do a a good machine polish - I'm an ex detailer so that will not be an issue, a couple of small dents need pulling on the passenger door and a bit of paintwork around these admittedly small dents.

Interior is decent, theres some wear on the drivers bolster which i will sort and the passenger seat doesnt fold to gain access to the rear, but I'm hoping this can be rectified easily.

Overall I'm in love with the little dear old thing.

If anyone has any advice on what I should be keeping an eye on over the forthcoming weeks ill appreciate it.

Thanks for such a great forum, I've been reading for a few weeks whilst looking at cars and its been a good help selecting a decent example.

Cheers

·
Registered
743 Posts
welcome to you , great choice of alfa , may I suggest you have the swirl flaps blanked and a remap done , I realise you may think this odd as you've only just got it but believe me , the swirls are a menace and can trash the engine if they fail and a remap really really brings the car to life and if there isn't evidence in the service history ? get the cambelt and waterpump changed too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome to you , great choice of alfa , may I suggest you have the swirl flaps blanked and a remap done , I realise you may think this odd as you've only just got it but believe me , the swirls are a menace and can trash the engine if they fail and a remap really really brings the car to life and if there isn't evidence in the service history ? get the cambelt and waterpump changed too
Hi buddy, thanks for the advice. The remap is a no go for me currently unfortunately. As this is a second car I'm starting back a no NCB. I have heard the swirl flaps can cause issues so I will look into this asap, will they throw up engine management faults when blanked? I know about the EGR issues on this engine but thankfully the previous owner has gone to the trouble of adding a blanking plate and must have had it deleted from the ECU, unless its a blanking plate with a hole in the middle.

The cam belt and water pump were changed at 55k so should be ok for some time yet.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi Nathan , i see you're just down the road from me (i'm in Holton le Clay )

It might be of interest to you that my GT is a second car, went with Hastings direct on both cars and for the 2nd they can mirror the NCB.
Worth considering them in future perhaps ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Nathan , i see you're just down the road from me (i'm in Holton le Clay )

It might be of interest to you that my GT is a second car, went with Hastings direct on both cars and for the 2nd they can mirror the NCB.
Worth considering them in future perhaps ?
Hi, yes right down the road! In fact I grew up in Holton Le Clay and my parents still live down picksley crescent. I'll definitely look into hastings direct. Its costing me over £400 for insurance, which for a 32 year old with maximum no claims on the other car and no points is just crazy in my opinion.

It would be great to meet up some time and get some advice off someone more experienced than me (first ever alfa).

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to brooklands on the 30th of april, auto italia day :smoker:
I would love to get out to meets soon but right now I am working full time and studying for a degree in my spare time so all my time is pretty much taken up. I finish my degree in the middle of may though so not long!

D

·
0 Posts
There are quite a few alfa/ italian events during the year so after May you might be able to get along to one :thumbup:

·
Administrator
88,052 Posts
Welcome to AO Nathan & congrats on your GT, good to hear you are enjoying it & that you've found the forum useful :thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts