Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From today's trade news..

Fiat Chrysler said two high-performance engines that will play an important role in Alfa Romeo's global relaunch will be built at the automaker's plant in Termoli, Italy.

The engines are a range-topping, Ferrari-derived six-cylinder gasoline engine developed specifically for Alfa Romeo and a high output four-cylinder engine family including gasoline and diesel units.

Fiat Chrysler will invest more than 500 million euros to install capacity to build 200,000 engines annually at the plant in central Italy, the company said on Wednesday. The work is set to be completed within six months.

The company gave no further details of the engines.

A Ferrari derived six?? A new Busso is born, long live the Busso!!

G

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Busso = The Alfa sound

Pentastar (GM, American) V6 in Brera and 159 = My diesel is more tuneful

Ferrari derived V6 = Probably another American GM V6 but with fiddled intakes like you get with Maserati V6s

iirc the Busso V6 is fine for a good few years to come, doesn't breach any EU emissions nonsense so not sure why it was replaced by the gob****e in the Brera/159

apologies if i'm wrong...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I do think the emission thing killed the busso for new cars... of course you can continue to use it after purchase.

Look forward to the new car and engines. There is not any real big demand for V6 engines but as a halo and aspiration its a must have...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
iirc the Busso V6 is fine for a good few years to come, doesn't breach any EU emissions nonsense
No, it wasn't, and it very much did. The Busso was killed by the EURO IV emissions limits. Getting the engine to comply with these would have cost so much that developing a new engine would have been a cheaper proposition, and this was at a time when both Alfa's market share and the V6 marketshare were both tanking.

The Holden/GM V6 was only ever an average engine; the Pentastar is at least a class-leading design, and Maserati's engine, based on its block is, by all accounts, superb.

If Sergio has taken leave of his senses, there's the outside chance of a Ferrari V8 reduced to 6 cylinders, but 90 degrees is the wrong angle for a V6 (the Busso was 60, which is the preferred, see this article for the theory: The Physics of Engine Cylinder-Bank Angles - Feature - Car and Driver )

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
I do think the emission thing killed the busso for new cars... of course you can continue to use it after purchase.

Look forward to the new car and engines. There is not any real big demand for V6 engines but as a halo and aspiration its a must have...
Surely the "halo" models now are V8's

Merc, BMW & Audi all have big V8s in their range toppers... I thought the range topper in the Giulia was supposed to be a V8 aswell?

V6 are nice tho :cool:

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Surely the "halo" models now are V8's

Merc, BMW & Audi all have big V8s in their range toppers...
apart from the V10s,V12s and W12s found therein... ;)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
BMW are going back to 6 cylinder in the M3 and M4. Merc are staying with V8 but only 4.0 instead of 6.3.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
There would be a demand for V6's if they can be built to have reasonable fuel consumption.

The Busso and GM V6 were hardly great on that score, but it is possible to make a large 6 cylinder reasonably economical as BMW have been doing it for years.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Just be thankful there is a range of new engines coming, there will never be a new 'Busso', so dont be disappointed when one doent arrive. Just be glad money is being put into engine development at all.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just be thankful there is a range of new engines coming, there will never be a new 'Busso', so dont be disappointed when one doent arrive. Just be glad money is being put into engine development at all.
Days of the V6 and V8 on non super cars are nearly over. As diesels are now gradually being banned in big cities keeping the average C02 down is going to be hard. It will only lead to development of small low pollution engines.

Alfa seem to have this right by focusing on smaller turbo engines rather than ploughing money into engines that are likely to be hit hard by ridiculously tough emission standards.

Alfa are going to be years behind the development of BMW and Mercedes on bigger engines. Plus they will not have the rules written around them like the German marques.

To be honest I would be happy with the 1750 engine over a V6 with taxation the way it is.

Plus Alfa can make a decent sounding and performing 4 pot, this hasn't been a strong point of BMW and Mercedes in the past.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Days of the V6 and V8 on non super cars are nearly over. As diesels are now gradually being banned in big cities keeping the average C02 down is going to be hard. It will only lead to development of small low pollution engines.

Alfa seem to have this right by focusing on smaller turbo engines rather than ploughing money into engines that are likely to be hit hard by ridiculously tough emission standards.

Alfa are going to be years behind the development of BMW and Mercedes on bigger engines. Plus they will not have the rules written around them like the German marques.

To be honest I would be happy with the 1750 engine over a V6 with taxation the way it is.

Plus Alfa can make a decent sounding and performing 4 pot, this hasn't been a strong point of BMW and Mercedes in the past.
but they have to rework seriously the consumption, I recently bought a new G QV LE :
my G QV 2012 : 177 CO² , I did 12,5 l/100 km, 18,8 MPG
my G QV 2015 : 162 CO², I do 13,5 l/100 km, 16,5 MPG :(
(until now only short trips in D and it has to be run in)

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
but they have to rework seriously the consumption, I recently bought a new G QV LE :
my G QV 2012 : 177 CO² , I did 12,5 l/100 km, 18,8 MPG
my G QV 2015 : 162 CO², I do 13,5 l/100 km, 16,5 MPG :(
(until now only short trips in D and it has to be run in)
I think you must be using American small gallons there. They're still pretty bad figures though.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
I think you must be using American small gallons there. They're still pretty bad figures though.
That's why the discounts are big on the QV ?
It starts to cost money if you're using your Giulietta for 12000 miles or more a year. Hence even the Ghibli comes as diesel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm happy that it was emissions that killed the Busso then, I think I gGoogled a few months ago why they stopped devving the Busso, and they said it was down to costs despite being good for a few more years. Guess it was a bit of both :/

I hope that the new V6 is all Italian, American V6s are lazy as hell (Ford Cougar and Probe V6s... 250BHP, all noise and no go)

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
I must have used a wrong converter.
Your UK figures would be 22.5mpg and 20mpg.. I think that is quite low but it is a new engine and you say doing mostly urban driving, how often are you stuck in traffic not moving with the engine running?

Most 1750 drivers here report high 30s on a long run and high 20s to low 30s locally which is an improvement on the old 3.2 V6.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts