Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well having got rid of the Integrale (sad day) and moving from 10 years of driving Peugeot's (much cheapness) i have taken the plunge for with a 147 TS Lusso with loads of extras. Only a few problems to iron out but am really loving the Alfa way, great drive, great attention to detail, wondering whether i will get to my destination!!!
First problem is a sticking rear brake caliper, anything to watch out for as i dismantle it and give it a good sort out?
From reading some posts it seams i have the sticking starter motor problem, only for a second when it starts from cold. How long does it take to get the thing off roughly?
Headlight adjustment seems temperamental, one main beam is higher than the other, tried the white screws on the back of the unit but not made a great difference. anything to know before i take the units out and re-fit them?
Think there is a problem with the alarm, in the hand book it says if it beeps once after setting there is a problem. Yep i get another beep after the initial one as it sets. Is this a stealer fix only or can a good AutoElec guy sort it?
The CD changer works intermittently, sometimes the text changes to red and says there is not discs. any common problems before i give the changer an overhaul and trace all the wiring?
Key fob, only got one with the car (bugger) which aint in great nick, getting it repaired, am i better shelling out for a new unit from the stealer to be on the safe side?
Apart from that its a mint car, drives perfect, looks great and puts a smile on my face. Have to stop taking the **** out of my brother now has he's always had Alfa's and love em.
Sorry for the long post and also if its in the wrong place, i will learn.
cheers
Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
I may have misunderstood your query re the alarm but you get a single beep after the alarm is set if it's been unable to lock because a door/tailgate is not properly shut. Have you checked all that?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get a beep when it locks and then a pause and another beep. all the doors are locked but not sure about the alarm. if that's normal great!!
cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
No the second beep isn't normal. On my 147 I only get it if something hasn't been closed properly - tailgate, door or even bonnet I think.

·
Registered
327 Posts
stellamin, try this link for solving the rear brake caliper, it maybe just the sliding bolt needs freeing and cleaning. (I had the same problem and was an easy repair a few months ago)

How to stop your Alfa Brakes from Squealing

This site is also very informative if you need to change the pads or other parts on the car.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
2nd bleep could also be caused by the movement sensors inside the car malfunctioning

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers for the assistance, my brothers got some pdf's of the rear brake set up, need to get a piston wind back tool first.
Will check all the door switches to try and get rid of the beep.

N

·
0 Posts
Mine beeps twice and my dads old 147 beeped twice. Hit the button, beep, longish pause (2-3 seconds) and a shorter beep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The second beep indictaes a problem setting the alarm. My first 147 did this and it was the tilt sensor (that tells if the car is being towed away!) I think the flashing red led on the console does a number of quick flashes to tell you which sensor has the problem.

It was a while so forgive me if my memory is wonky!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Yeah if you get 2 beeps with a pause between them (time for the syste to chck its failsafes) the second beep is to tell you 'something' is wrong, not very good though, try cleaning the contacts on the boot release plate?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the reply's. am sure the alarm is a switch problem in one of the doors/bonnet/boot, will check out the LED on the dash.
bye bye weekend!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts