Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have to get a new airflow meter has anyone used worldcarparts uk and was the part ok

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Looks like they are replica parts ... for MAFs the ONLY ones to use are genuine bosch versions ...(the replica ones either don't work from the start or fail VERY quickly)

These people http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AEP-DIRECT-Citroen-Peugeot-Renault sell genuine Bosch MAFs are a reasonable price (not sure they've got any in stock at the moment ... at least they don't seem to have any on ebay ... might be worth giving them a ring ...)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi 156 Chris looks like I need to change mine as i have a slight flat spot 4-5k. Where can I find out its position in the engine bay and is it an easy swap out item that can be done at home?

If you know? thanks!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Not sure where they are on a GTV ... but on a 156 they are attached to the air filter box (which is just behind the radiator on the right hand side) ... it's definitely a change at home job, I took mine out gave it a clean and had it back in in 10mins ...

... are you sure it's the MAF??? try disconnecting it and see if that gets rid of the flat spot ... (you'll probably get a motor control system failure message ...)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not sure where they are on a GTV ... but on a 156 they are attached to the air filter box (which is just behind the radiator on the right hand side) ... it's definitely a change at home job, I took mine out gave it a clean and had it back in in 10mins ...

... are you sure it's the MAF??? try disconnecting it and see if that gets rid of the flat spot ... (you'll probably get a motor control system failure message ...)
Chris - I assume the motor control system failure message goes away once you refit the MAF :confused:

I was thinking of changing mine - not because of a flat spot at 3-5k but because of a juddering effect when I pull away and I wondered if this could be the cause :confused:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yes you're right the MCSF would go away afterwards ... try unplugging the MAF and see if the juddering affect goes away too ... if it doesn't then it's (probably) not the MAF ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I replaced my maf with a non bosch one as a test (returned it this morning though...)

The bosch one i currently have is making the car underpowered with a flat spot around 4krpm, the pattern one did make the car more powerful, and rev cleanly, however when you first press the throttle it dipped the revs, and also, when the engine was cold, the car was juddering

So chances are the juddering can be the MAF.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yes you're right the MCSF would go away afterwards ... try unplugging the MAF and see if the juddering affect goes away too ... if it doesn't then it's (probably) not the MAF ...
Nice idea! Never fancied uplugging the MAF (or any other leads for that matter). Always frightened what might happen :eek:

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
It's easy ... all that happens is the engine mgmt light comes on ... and goes out when you plug it back in ...

It's a very simple test if the MAF is failing. Unfortunately they don't always show up on diagnostic systems until they are really dead ...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Cheers gazza

Job for later (although Mrs C is making scary noises about looking at fitted robes for the bedroom :rolleyes: )

:lol:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
cool thanks found it. It is in the same position but a sod to get to, to even unplug it. I'll have a go on Sat.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Right - removed MAF and gave it a clean. That said - it seems the only thing to clean is a small diode that's bent back on itself and held with contacts. Anyway, cleaned it with lint free bud and non residue pcb cleaner. Put it back in and TBH no noticeable differnce - possibly felt a bit lighter on the throttle at 1500 - 2000 rpm.

So, unplugged the MAF and a slight improvement when pulling away and certainly felt livelier through 1500-3000 but no significant difference to the juddering when pulling away.

One worry was the engine management light came on and stayed on even withe the MAF plugged back in - was seriously worried I'd knackered something. Anyway, after a stop/start journey home via shps and chippy it eventually went off :)

So, the conclusion. I dont think the MAF is causing the juddering, that said given the small improvement and the fact that she has 120k on the clock and Ive done 30+ k of that and the MAF has never been changed I've decided to change it as it cant hurt :thumbs:

The juddering, BTW, seems to be rev related, in so far as if I increase the revs and balance that against the clutch biting I can ususally control it, it's just not that smooth. I'm always concious that if I had to do a quick get away I'd probably stall her. I'm wondering if it's more clutch related but given she has self adjusting clutch I wont be venturing down that road.

Last question - which is not related to the MAF now, so I'll open a new thread - but how easy is it to drain the clutch hydraulics - procedure??

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
the juddering sounds like the clutch as all cars will some time judder when its on its way out. The fact that you can control it by feathering the cluth also tends to point to that. ALso might be loose engine mounts, id check they are all present and tight.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, well, well...

I've done the MAF (ie stripped and cleaned it) and then decided to follow some other advice on threads and remove the cone from within the air box and then followed the logic of improving/correcting air flow to the engine.

I'm not sure what the part i cleaned next is actually called but it's the part at the opposite end of the induction pipe to the induction box. Inside is a butterfly (bit like the insides of a good old fashioned carb!!). When I removed it and looked inside the butterfly wasnt closing properly due a build up of blackm oily/carbon type deposits. Cleaned the whole thing down with the help of a little petrol - low and behold took bella for a spin and bl00dy hell :eek: what a difference. She pulls away smoothly, no juddering. Feels completing different and so much better :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Great News :thumbs: ... it's always the simple things that make the big differences ... :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Well, well, well...

I'm not sure what the part i cleaned next is actually called but it's the part at the opposite end of the induction pipe to the induction box. )
Believe you are describing the throttle body.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts