Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I just bought my first Alfa, a beautiful 147 2002 Business.
I'm picking it up next week, but in the meantime I want to order a new 2-din head unit, preferably an "ok" Android china unit, and whatever else I need to make it work as stock (steering control, display in center of dash, bose amp)
I read through the main guide, but to be honest got quite confused by it all, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone could make a tiny guide for my specific model?
Preferably with links to what I need to buy!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi all!
I just bought my first Alfa, a beautiful 147 2002 Business.
I'm picking it up next week, but in the meantime I want to order a new 2-din head unit, preferably an "ok" Android china unit, and whatever else I need to make it work as stock (steering control, display in center of dash, bose amp)
I read through the main guide, but to be honest got quite confused by it all, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone could make a tiny guide for my specific model?
Preferably with links to what I need to buy!
Thanks in advance!!
i just bought this seems ok so far
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321843751749

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
If you're unsure, and don't have the right tools, confidence, or experience, then I recommend paying a professional to have the job done. Otherwise you might end up very frustrated, and possibly damage something, even it's cosmetic like a scratch/mark to the dash.

Not sure what you really need to know, that would be "tiny". Just do it..or don't! Pull the old headunit out, fit the steering wheel control adaptor, cut out the dash cross bar, use the fitting kit, plug it in and fit it in carefully.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're unsure, and don't have the right tools, confidence, or experience, then I recommend paying a professional to have the job done. Otherwise you might end up very frustrated, and possibly damage something, even it's cosmetic like a scratch/mark to the dash.

Not sure what you really need to know, that would be "tiny". Just do it..or don't! Pull the old headunit out, fit the steering wheel control adaptor, cut out the dash cross bar, use the fitting kit, plug it in and fit it in carefully.

Hey, thanks for answers. :)
I think i'll manage the actual job, what I'm unsure of, is which "steering adapter" I need for my car, and if there is anything else i need to buy to make it close to plug'n'play

·
7,713 Posts
No idea which patch lead will work, either, sorry.

The Connects2 CTSAR003.2 interface will integrate with the Alfa plug and controls, BUT, you need to know which patch lead to connect between the interface and the new headunit. The patch lead needs to have the right style plug/wires, but more importantly provide the right configuration combo of ground wire and active wires, plus I think there's more to it than just that (likely to be difference in voltage and/or impedance). If you look at the Connects2 website, there's about 10 different patch leads (eg: CTBLAUPUNKTLEAD, CTPARROTLEAD, etc) of varying configurations.

When you buy a no-name headunit, who knows what protocols they use? Will the seller/distributor know? I doubt it, they are probably just 'box pushers' selling a cheap product without any insight into the design and function or technical background.

Yes, I realise you're trying to do the research about it here, but I've not read anyone providing the info unfortunately, so your guess is as good as most.

But one blessing can be that some headunits have programmable inputs, so you can teach it to respond properly to the buttons. Alpine have had this, as well as a dedicated input socket, so it can work with either a patch lead or direct connection with the (Alfa) control wires. You could try and check if the no-name provides programmable inputs, but no guarantee it will work, but it should/could.

Reactions: MightyCalves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea which patch lead will work, either, sorry.

The Connects2 CTSAR003.2 interface will integrate with the Alfa plug and controls, BUT, you need to know which patch lead to connect between the interface and the new headunit. The patch lead needs to have the right style plug/wires, but more importantly provide the right configuration combo of ground wire and active wires, plus I think there's more to it than just that (likely to be difference in voltage and/or impedance). If you look at the Connects2 website, there's about 10 different patch leads (eg: CTBLAUPUNKTLEAD, CTPARROTLEAD, etc) of varying configurations.

When you buy a no-name headunit, who knows what protocols they use? Will the seller/distributor know? I doubt it, they are probably just 'box pushers' selling a cheap product without any insight into the design and function or technical background.

Yes, I realise you're trying to do the research about it here, but I've not read anyone providing the info unfortunately, so your guess is as good as most.

But one blessing can be that some headunits have programmable inputs, so you can teach it to respond properly to the buttons. Alpine have had this, as well as a dedicated input socket, so it can work with either a patch lead or direct connection with the (Alfa) control wires. You could try and check if the no-name provides programmable inputs, but no guarantee it will work, but it should/could.

Awesome, thank you very much shiny_car! Perhaps I'll look for a decent pioneer or something instead. I assume then it would just be a matter of getting the CTSAR003.2 and a pioneer patch cable, and the rest would be plug an play.
Thanks again! :thumbup:

·
7,713 Posts
Exactly. There'd be no doubts or difficulty.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
When looking at the head units try to get one that is a short as possible. With the adaptor leads behind the head unit it can be a very tight fit. In fact even without the adaptor it is a tight fit in there. The link below, scroll about halfway down, shows photos of the Android unit that I have fitted to my son's 147.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would avoid Chinese double dins. They look 'cool' but one I got from ebay was very 'static', lacked of functionality, had average sound quality, was way too bright (not enough levels for dimming) and could not find any maps that Sat Nav would run. After few month sold it for less than half price and installed 'standar' double din stereo

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I found exactly the opposite of 2millionways. My son's Chinese Android unit is amazing. Android fully open and not crippled in any way. SatNav works perfectly and now updated with Q4 2015 maps. More Apps to install than you can ever use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts