Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full article here new-acpo-speed-limit-enforcement-guidelines-welcome

Some common sense being spoken by the Association of Chief Police Officers!

Where limits are not clear (that is they don't feel/look like the limit or are on inappropriate roads), they will not be routinely enforced"
•"Unclear or even confusing limits (all limits, not just 20's) will undoubtably lead to mistaken offending and any aggressive enforcement risks a loss of public support for the action and more importantly the police service"
•"The desired outcome has to be speeds at the limit chosen so as to achieve safe roads for other and vulnerable users not high speeds and high enforcement"
•"Speeding problems identified in an area must have the engineering, site clarity and need re-assessed, not simply a call for more enforcement"
•"Enforcing against drivers who simply misread the road may not be appropriate".

The guidelines also reiterate the current recommendation of enforcement levels at a10%+2mph threshold above the limit.

Limits should not be set well below what drivers would expect to see and then be enforced to achieve high rates of offender punishment.

"Unfortunately many local authorities and police chiefs appear not to understand this simple concept, believing that just sticking up a sign and prosecuting thousands of safe drivers somehow improves safety. It does not, but it does of course make a lot of money for those selling enforcement equipment and training courses."

Personally, I would like to see motorway limits increased overall and would support a strict enforcement of a variable limit taking weather and traffic into account if the pay off was a more relaxed attitude to higher speed cruising where conditions clearly permit since there'll be very few V-maxing everywhere IMHO.

Nontheless, it's heartening to see a more rounded, pragmatic view being taken by the police.:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Personally, I would like to see motorway limits increased overall and would support a strict enforcement of a variable limit taking weather and traffic into account if the pay off was a more relaxed attitude to higher speed cruising where conditions clearly permit since there'll be very few V-maxing everywhere IMHO.
I would agree particularly with respect to variable limit sections provided the variable limits are adjusted (as intended) as soon as traffic conditions change and not left at 50mph (for example) well after the heavy traffic has cleared. There is nothing worse than a clear road and the limit still set low

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree particularly with respect to variable limit sections provided the variable limits are adjusted (as intended) as soon as traffic conditions change and not left at 50mph (for example) well after the heavy traffic has cleared. There is nothing worse than a clear road and the limit still set low
Yes, I agree. I think the majority of motorways have enough measurement or surveillance systems in place to virtually automate the process which means you might find the limit rising gradually by 10mph increments on the bit of road you are on as the surface dries or the traffic thins.

·
Registered
37,738 Posts
In the interest of reasonableness I think if we do adopt a variable speed limit approach the telephone number of the Highways Agency operator responsible for setting and monitoring it should be published alongside the limit, if that number reaches more than, say, 20 complaints because the motorway is now clear they should receive an electric shock :thumbs:

I'll read the report over the weekend, thanks Jim :)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the interest of reasonableness I think if we do adopt a variable speed limit approach the telephone number of the Highways Agency operator responsible for setting and monitoring it should be published alongside the limit, if that number reaches more than, say, 20 complaints because the motorway is now clear they should receive an electric shock :thumbs:

I'll read the report over the weekend, thanks Jim :)
:cheese::thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
In the present climate of litigation, I can't see any increase in speed limits being authorised because in the event of a road death the authorities could be culpable.

What could happen is less stringent policing - the "blind eye" approach, which leaves the Police having to make subjective judgements on the spot. Not ideal.

Kind words from ACPO but I doubt it will really alter the situation, other than to add more regulation to areas where speed limits may be confusing or unclear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts