Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my first Alfa on Saturday.

Its red 1998 2.5 v6 thats done 110000 miles. Seems neat, but I guess there's always a reason why someone is getting rid of something. Prefer to keep thinking of it as their loss and my gain.

has new clutch, waterpump and has had a new cambelt at some point (yet to find out exactly when). Apparently it will need some new front balljoints so any ideas on where and how I go about this please let me know. From doing a bit of research the Airflo meters are also a costly problem so hoping theres nothing wrong with mine. What are the symptoms to look out for though?

can't wait for the weekend!

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the purchase :) (not biased in any way of course, just co-incidence that I own a red 98 plate 2.5 V6 :lol: )
By ball joints do you mean wishbones?
Genuine MAF's are expensive, but see how the running is before bothering about that

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the guy actually said he had an MOT advisory/mechanic who warned him that the front ball joints would need doing in the future and as I am now this baby's future..... I've asumed that it must be something like the steering connecting rods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am nervious about the cam belt though. He said he's had the car for 4 years and the previous owner was the last person to have done it + 3X36000=108000 and the car is on 110000 :eek:

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Sounds like the top wishbone arm balljoints have play in them. These are about £40 each, or £100 each fitted. Not a massive job.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the top wishbone arm balljoints have play in them. These are about £40 each, or £100 each fitted. Not a massive job.

thats great. confirms what the seller told me when I asked him for some details.

In that case I will tackle it myself. I love fixing things so owning an Alfa serves the perpose of keeping me entertained in every way.

A

·
0 Posts
I'd advise the cam belt is not left for much more than 55,000 miles. (its still officially 72,000 on the V6..but don't go there) Its not a cheap job, but depending on where you are Jamie Porter at the Alfa Workshop in Royston does a very keen price and a good job. As its a 98 I understand your need to keep costs under control relative to value of the vehicle. Even so if all else is sorted (wishbones) then having the cam belt done by someone who knows how to do it right buys quite a bit of reassurance.

Its a great engine that..cam belt aside... is pretty bullet proof.

Enjoy!!

AlfaLincs

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
156 V6 things to look out for:

1: Top wishbone ball joints and bushes worn out/knocking.

2: Lower wishbone ball joints and bushes worn out/knocking causing wandering steering and excess wear on the inside or the tyre.

3: Worn shocks causing knocking when braking or accelerating.

4: CV joints knocking when turning.

5: Anti Roll Bar drop Links, just knock when you breath in and out.

6: Rear Tie Rod bush worn, rear end wandering.

7: Rear Hub bush worn, knocking from rear when braking.

8: Rear suspension arm bushes worn, again the steering wanders.

9: Hand brake cables corroding and sticking in the ON position, cooking the brakes and wheel bearings.

10: Lacking performance/injector light, normally a faulty coil pack, they crack and the spark shorts to the block.

11: Front right engine mount, they have a bad habit of colapsing (best to modify a gearbox mount to fit there).

12: Rear light perminantly on (even with the key out) AND light out warning, faulty rev counter circuitry, replace the rev counter and all will be sound.

13: Airbag light on, normally the connections under the front seats need tweaking, you'll have to get it reset with the laptop though.

14: Not reaching 90'C within 5 minutes of running, faulty thermostat (stuck open).

15: Always running over 95'C, Faulty radiator (corroded out).

16: Rising over 100'C before droping or cuting out, Faulty low speed fan resistors (rotted away)

17: Remove the front wheel arch liners and look for rust holes, the inner arches have a water trap behind them and rot out after about 8 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks! your list and images have been a great help!

A

·
0 Posts
Wow..thats an impressive and useful list Smaky. ( what about the water pump though....)

The RAF don't call you in to fix Tornados on your days off by any chance do they;)

Alfalincs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts