Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a serial Alfa owner, like many of you I'm sure.

Just picked up a 166 3 litre Manual Super from the Isle of Wight, 102k miles with 10 months MOT for ....£600.

Anyone know anything about this car? Any previous owners on here? It has an Alfaowner sticker on the rear window. Registration is T921JCF.

I have had a 164 and two GTV's prior to this, so this is another car to tick of my "must own" list. I absolutely love it so far. I got the train from Harrogate to Southampton on Saturday (about 7.5 hours), then got the Red Funnel ferry to the Isle of Wight, picked up the car from a nice chap called Thomas, and then got the ferry back. Drove 270 miles from Southampton back to Harrogate and it didn't miss a beat. Superb car. Almost silent when cruising but as soon as you open the taps, there's a lovely throbbing sound from the busso. Brilliant!

Next thing on my list is to get the cambelt done and a service.

Any other 166 owners in North Yorkshire?

Sam

Attachments

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bargain! She looks fantastic.
There's something special about a car labelled as a 'Super'.
I bet you smiled all of the way home too.
Did any problems crop up on the way home? I always carry a 2L bottle of water when driving home in a new project car after buying at duff 20v n/a Fiat Coupe :paranoid:
Congrats on your purchase.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Congrats Sam - is this to replace the GTV as your daily then?

I thought about this one myself when I saw it was for sale but I don't need another Alfa V6 in my life right now!

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a cracking looking car for £600. Good to hear it drove well up the road. Looks like mine apart from the colour. As long as it checks out OK you will not regret!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats Sam - is this to replace the GTV as your daily then?

I thought about this one myself when I saw it was for sale but I don't need another Alfa V6 in my life right now!
Dan, yeah this will be my new daily.

Thanks for the email about the prices for sorting the GTV, but I am going to move it onto another enthusiast, who is due to pick it up on Friday. I think they will probably end up putting a 3 litre engine back in and hopefully keep the car going.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Dan, yeah this will be my new daily.

Thanks for the email about the prices for sorting the GTV, but I am going to move it onto another enthusiast, who is due to pick it up on Friday. I think they will probably end up putting a 3 litre engine back in and hopefully keep the car going.
Thats good news then - hope you got good money for the GTV. If you miss the sound of the Wizard too much, just drop me a line and we can sort out one of these for you :D

Although with the 166's big centre silencer and lots of sound deadening it isn't quite the same volume, but the noise is all the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
@Pud: Is this from Wizard for 166? Did not know they make them. Are they willing to make a quad exhaust for 166? With some personal wishes about the type of sound a customer wants?
Is it possible to register their exhausts as modification and use them as road legal (like TUV certificate or similar)?

I know, many questions :)

@strangehighways: nice purchase by the way and I wish you as issuefree ownership as possible!

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Do you have a 166 system jigged up now Pud? Or is it still case of supplying the Wizard boxes and getting the rest custom made?
We've done a backbox which bolts on to the rest of the exhaust system, thats all we have made for the 166.

@Pud: Is this from Wizard for 166? Did not know they make them. Are they willing to make a quad exhaust for 166? With some personal wishes about the type of sound a customer wants?
Is it possible to register their exhausts as modification and use them as road legal (like TUV certificate or similar)?
No there is no TUV approval unfortunately - you just have to take it as it is. Thankfully in the UK its not a problem for us, but I know in some European countries you need to have custom made parts assessed by a qualified engineer before they are allowed on a road car. Quad exhaust we could only build on a car, as we don't have a jig to build one from.

The backbox internals are the same as we sell for the 156 GTA / GTV V6 and the sound it produces is almost identical, we can make changes to the internal design at customer's request but it is a 'best guess' scenario as we don't have sound analysis/modelling software to predict how changes in the exhaust system will affect the final sound. For example if you add silencing, it will generally bring down the volume, but you may find it adds in boominess at very low revs because of how a silencer disturbs the airflow which is then either amplified or reduced by the resonator which comes after.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thank you for that answer Pud. The thing is I am looking for a quad exhaust which would come with TUV (or similar) otherwise I cannot use it legally on the streets in my country - as you've said it we have to get the car inspected by a proffesional who checks if modification is carried out properly and if it has a certificate to be used on this car.
Also I think that 166 should have an exhaust with more softer sound. It would be better suited for a big limo than a more screamy sounding Wizard :)

So there is one company I found that did a couple of these on 166, its called Skytune, but don't know yet if they also customize exhaust tone to custumer liking, will ask them some time in the near future.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Also I think that 166 should have an exhaust with more softer sound. It would be better suited for a big limo than a more screamy sounding Wizard :)
This is why we didn't make a middle pipe in stainless steel without silencer, like we did for the GTA and GTV V6. With the Wizard backbox on the original middle section, it makes the same nice noise, but the volume is much lower. :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts