Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not supposed to have one of these beauties in the US but our 156 needed company in the driveway.

Where do I buy discs for the nav system? I see some Mercedes discs for sale on Ebay from a 2002 model, would they work? I have a 2001 166 Super, 3.0, 6 speed.

I also need the ICS manual in English, my Italian isn't up to the task!

The car has only 29,000 miles on it and seems brand new. OK, the left turn signal doesn't always cancel but I have read about this problem here. Also the upper engine brace came apart where it mounts to the engine. I think I can cram it back together and use a large washer to keep it together.

Russ

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I know I'm not supposed to have one of these beauties in the US but our 156 needed company in the driveway.
WOW! A 166 in the US. How cool is that?

Where do I buy discs for the nav system? I see some Mercedes discs for sale on Ebay from a 2002 model, would they work? I have a 2001 166 Super, 3.0, 6 speed.
First you need to check if you have the G2 or G3 system. As there are no updates for the Navigation for the G2 system. I have to check what the system should read, but you can show all version settings on your display by pressing the 'Climate' button + 'Dark' button simultaneously.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
WOW! A 166 in the US. How cool is that?

Cool blooming freezing....Howd you do it veloceruss

First you need to check if you have the G2 or G3 system. As there are no updates for the Navigation for the G2 system. I have to check what the system should read, but you can show all version settings on your display by pressing the 'Climate' button + 'Dark' button simultaneously.
More than likely a G2 but worth checking.Was there a disc in the reader in the boot Velocer.
Do you get disc for the US for the 166.
Perplexed see below.

The car has only 29,000 miles on it and seems brand new. OK, the left turn signal doesn't always cancel but I have read about this problem here. Also the upper engine brace came apart where it mounts to the engine. I think I can cram it back together and use a large washer to keep it together.

Russ
OK russ now read the thread...Its an Italian one...There is a link on here somewhere for the English version.

Howdy Cowboy.Welcome to the wonderful world of 166 ownership.:cheese::cheese:

I am not laughhing at you but I will try to find the revevant link.

Pomeo

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-and-blue-and-me/60085-satnav-unit-only-speaks-italian.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/77405-possible-major-fault-that-no-ones-latched-on-to.html

On reflection Russ...The English version may be no good....You may need the USA one;):D

Handbook here Russ

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/112256-users-guide-an-service-manual-for-166-a.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
A 166 in the US! Great! To bad they were never officially sold there. I think it would have sold quite well over there.

Is yours an Autodelta LS, or an European example? Can you post some pics?

With regard to your nav question, it is not possible to use any other disks then 166 formatted navtech discs. And then it also depends which version you have, G2 or G3.

Also, check this site:
Welcome at Alfa Romeo 166 Club

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
First you need to check if you have the G2 or G3 system.

Press the 'Climate' button + right turn button simultaneously for a bit more than a second.

When you Navigation Software Ver. reads ARNA#### you have the G3 system. When it reads ARIE#### you have the old G2 system.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
First you need to check if you have the G2 or G3 system.

Press the 'Climate' button + right turn button simultaneously for a bit more than a second.

When you Navigation Software Ver. reads ARNA#### you have the G3 system. When it reads ARIE#### you have the old G2 system.
Sele, Surely it doesn't make any difference if G2 or G3 coz if they never sold them there(In the USA) why would they have sat nav discs for them.

Then again why have the USA setting.(Forward planning which never happenned til now)

If G2 they only go up to 2001 anyway.

Also IIRC The Japanese versions have sat nav and poss Australia but not New Zealand.(Or is it vice versa)

Perhaps a listing of all available sat nav discs showing version and area covered may be a good thing to have.

Are there any others 166's in the North American Continent other than Russ's?

Pomeo

Silly me.:eek:.I guess they'll be listed on epar....BUT.I just cant work out that sat nav map :confused:section.

·
Registered
741 Posts

Russ
Congatulations! must be the sleeper car in the states. Sure someone coiuld copy a disc for you, assuming it has maps for USA. Think mine has uk and europe only, but guess nav-tech would sell you some. Will check it monday when I go for MOT.

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
819 Posts
There are no maps for Australia even though they sold 166s here (albeit just over 500 of them from 1999-2008)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My G3 has an 2009 Opel CD in it now. Don´t know which Opel Nav system, they have many.
Just checked the USA Navteq site. No maps available from there for USA, nor from Opel or from Alfa.

So you can use other brand CDees, but probably not on years where there is a software update on it, lik on the 2007 G3 CD.

·
Registered
379 Posts
A 166 in the US as well as a 156 :confused:
How did u get them in ?
Also no parts whatsoever..you have to import everything except for the oils..
Anyway, they will probably draw more attention than a Lambo for the rare factor..:cool:
Congrats...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the posts. I will take some time to digest them.

How did I get these cars in the US? If I told you I'd have to...........you know the line! Actually there are two of these running around town. I know they were bought new from Italy but with English gauges. The other one is an automatic. I had a chance to buy it but it had 120,000 miles and was an automatic. Mine is a 6 speed and has only 29,000 miles. The automotic one still looked new! I think these cars have good rustproofing because we use a lot of salt in Wisconsin. They were imported by some Italian nationals living here. How they got clean titles is a question I don't want to ask. Mine is licensed and passes emission testing. Yes, it does draw looks. I love the Nuvola paint job, even if it is not red. My next project with it will be to open up the exhaust some. It is just too quiet!

The 156 is a better story. A Dutch professor had a teaching sabatical in North Dakota! He bought the car new and had it shipped as his personal property to the US. It had to pass a simple DOT and EPA test which it did. He was supposed to take the car back with him but he ended up selling it to my Italian friends.

The professor also had a Harley. We build those in Milwaukee, WI. Those of us with Ducatis call them Hardly Ablesons but smile while saying so. 2003 was the 100 year anniversary for Harley so the professor rode to Milwaukee for the show. While here, he saw the 166 automatic being driven by a lady. He wanted to ask her where she got her car serviced so followed her. She thought a thug on a Harley was after her so they had a bit of a road race through Milwaukee. Finally she got stopped and he waved his hands and said he just wanted to ask her about her car. She told him about our local dealer.

Professor 156 drove 500 miles to get his car serviced here. His tasteless girlfriend fell in love with a black Porsche and he traded in the 156 for it. My friends had the 156 for 1 1/2 years and kept telling me they were saving it for me. One day my wife was at the shop and they told her we should come on Saturday to drive it. She asked for the keys, "I'll just drive it now." She bought it! We love the car. It had only 17,000 miles, 2.5, 6 speed. It is fast and handles great, especially after installing a front strut brace across the engine. I removed the center muffler and had a custom rear pipe with just a resonator there. It really growls.

We have had the 156 for 3 1/2 years and no mechanical problems. The windshield wipers motor burned out and the rear door handles broke but that is an Alfa disease that's incurable.

We sure have a unique pair of cars and we love them. Sure there are no parts in the US but we have three spiders to fall back on, 1981, 1983 and 1961. Oh, we have a 1991 Ford Exploder too and a handful of Ducatis.

Now can someone tell this cowboy how to jack the suspension up a foot or two and install big mudder tires? We don't have a lot of tarmac out here.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The engine top mount dogbone can be repaired with some hard self mix rubber compound - have a search on the forum. Mines still going strong after 20K miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nav solution

With the G3 nav unit, the Porsche PCM discs will work correctly for the USA. However, the PCM series discs are not kept current. I had a functional nav setup as described. For some reason, I ran a newer euro map CD through the system. The new CD updated the firmware and the PCM solution would no longer work.

Best regards,
Ken

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for all the posts. I will take some time to digest them.

How did I get these cars in the US? If I told you I'd have to...........you know the line! Actually there are two of these running around town. I know they were bought new from Italy but with English gauges. The other one is an automatic. I had a chance to buy it but it had 120,000 miles and was an automatic. Mine is a 6 speed and has only 29,000 miles. The automotic one still looked new! I think these cars have good rustproofing because we use a lot of salt in Wisconsin. They were imported by some Italian nationals living here. How they got clean titles is a question I don't want to ask. Mine is licensed and passes emission testing. Yes, it does draw looks. I love the Nuvola paint job, even if it is not red. My next project with it will be to open up the exhaust some. It is just too quiet!

The 156 is a better story. A Dutch professor had a teaching sabatical in North Dakota! He bought the car new and had it shipped as his personal property to the US. It had to pass a simple DOT and EPA test which it did. He was supposed to take the car back with him but he ended up selling it to my Italian friends.

The professor also had a Harley. We build those in Milwaukee, WI. Those of us with Ducatis call them Hardly Ablesons but smile while saying so. 2003 was the 100 year anniversary for Harley so the professor rode to Milwaukee for the show. While here, he saw the 166 automatic being driven by a lady. He wanted to ask her where she got her car serviced so followed her. She thought a thug on a Harley was after her so they had a bit of a road race through Milwaukee. Finally she got stopped and he waved his hands and said he just wanted to ask her about her car. She told him about our local dealer.

Professor 156 drove 500 miles to get his car serviced here. His tasteless girlfriend fell in love with a black Porsche and he traded in the 156 for it. My friends had the 156 for 1 1/2 years and kept telling me they were saving it for me. One day my wife was at the shop and they told her we should come on Saturday to drive it. She asked for the keys, "I'll just drive it now." She bought it! We love the car. It had only 17,000 miles, 2.5, 6 speed. It is fast and handles great, especially after installing a front strut brace across the engine. I removed the center muffler and had a custom rear pipe with just a resonator there. It really growls.

We have had the 156 for 3 1/2 years and no mechanical problems. The windshield wipers motor burned out and the rear door handles broke but that is an Alfa disease that's incurable.

We sure have a unique pair of cars and we love them. Sure there are no parts in the US but we have three spiders to fall back on, 1981, 1983 and 1961. Oh, we have a 1991 Ford Exploder too and a handful of Ducatis.

Now can someone tell this cowboy how to jack the suspension up a foot or two and install big mudder tires? We don't have a lot of tarmac out here.
Great story veloceruss.

@ I think these cars have good rustproofing because we use a lot of salt in Wisconsin:

Indeed the 166 is well protected against rust. I am told the whole body and external body parts are galvanized i.e. covered with zinc before painting. This layer of zinc has self restoring capacities in case of scratches etc. In the Netherlands, indeed where your professor comes from, the warranty on the painting is three years and on the body eight years against rusting from the inside. This shows AR's confidence in this product. AR had a bad reputation in this respect. The part of the Netherlands where I live is near the coast. The salty wind made previous AR models such as Alfasud, Alfetta already rust in the showroom of the dealer.

@ Now can someone tell this cowboy how to jack the suspension up a foot or two and install big mudder tires? We don't have a lot of tarmac out here:

Most 166 owners prefer to lower their car about an inch or more. So all kinds of after market coil spring and shock absorbers are available to make that happen.

What about the headlights? Cars imported from the US need a headlight modification to pass MOT. What about cars imported from Europe?

Another 166 in the US has been spotted in NYC in 2007. Have a look at the following links: Alfa Romeo 166 Spotted in NYC - 166 - Jalopnik
Alfa 166 in NYC Today - TCC Message Boards

·
Registered
1 Posts

Russ
Hello Russ,

I would like to know how I can import the 2005 166 to America.

Regards,

Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts