Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , long time lurker and now seeking some advise .

I have a G QVL bought new in March which has got a knocking / clunky type noise coming from somewhere in front at low speeds and was hoping someone had any advise on what the issue could be . At the moment the car has been into main dealer ( slough ) twice for this , 1st time 1 day , 2nd time 3 days ( fault has been shown to mechanic on test drives ) but they have not been able to resolve , currently they have a ticket open with Alfa and I am waiting to hear back from them to book it back in ( again ) once they know what they are going to do .
Also on the same line has anyone rejected a new car from Alfa , AFAIK they have 3 attempts to repair the same fault in first 6 months after which it can be rejected , I am hoping it can be resolved but have little faith they will get to the bottom of it .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all , long time lurker and now seeking some advise .

I have a G QVL bought new in March which has got a knocking / clunky type noise coming from somewhere in front at low speeds and was hoping someone had any advise on what the issue could be . At the moment the car has been into main dealer ( slough ) twice for this , 1st time 1 day , 2nd time 3 days ( fault has been shown to mechanic on test drives ) but they have not been able to resolve , currently they have a ticket open with Alfa and I am waiting to hear back from them to book it back in ( again ) once they know what they are going to do .
Also on the same line has anyone rejected a new car from Alfa , AFAIK they have 3 attempts to repair the same fault in first 6 months after which it can be rejected , I am hoping it can be resolved but have little faith they will get to the bottom of it .
I seem to have the same problem, mine's a MA170 TCT that was new about a month ago. Noticed it more this weekend. It doesn't seem to be the suspension ? May be the TCT, although it seems to drive ok. I was going to ring my dealers (Hemel Hempstead) tommorrow.

Really interested in any replies..............

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines a manual , it wasn't there when new but has been doing it since around 2.5k miles now around 3.3k , dealer has confirmed nothing is adrift and all tightened up as it should be but its quite a noticeable and worrying clunk . I will update once I hear back , I collected the car last Wednesday after the last attempt and didn't even get off the forecourt before it did it and now just waiting for them to call me .

·
Registered
224 Posts
hmm, worrying this issue indeed it is. My new GQV has not had that issue yet, but I did get it in May, so it is still rather new.

That being said, I have had to return my GQV to the dealer 3 times now to resolve issues with moisture inside the headlamps after a good rain, or car wash! Currently still waiting on yet another set of head light assemblies in the hope it will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my G to the dealers (Palmers Hemel Hempstead) this afternoon to check out my 'knocking / clunking' type noise. Seems to have been sorted out; lube needed on engine mounts (mentioned they have had to do it on a few Jeep Renegades as well.) 20 mile drive home and no clunking at slow speeds. Really impressed with them; was expecting to have to book it in but was sorted out there and then. Andyvee - might be an idea to mention it to your dealers, but of course don't know if my clunking is the same as yours !?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took my G to the dealers (Palmers Hemel Hempstead) this afternoon to check out my 'knocking / clunking' type noise. Seems to have been sorted out; lube needed on engine mounts (mentioned they have had to do it on a few Jeep Renegades as well.) 20 mile drive home and no clunking at slow speeds. Really impressed with them; was expecting to have to book it in but was sorted out there and then. Andyvee - might be an idea to mention it to your dealers, but of course don't know if my clunking is the same as yours !?
Thanks for the update , I believe that was what they did to mine on the 1st visit , it was great on the way home but came back the next day so interested to see if yours stays quiet .
Mine is now booked in for 25th July with a loaner G while they try again ( they have an action plan from Alfa Italy to follow now ) , really hoping they can sort it as rejecting a car is a ballache all round and car is all good apart from this .

·
Registered
258 Posts
My Renegade has this problem, dealer has looked at it twice in the last month (no fault found). I will mention your post to my dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As ( sadly ) expected Clivemito's issue has come back already apparently so it seems to be more involved than a quick shot of silicone .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just got back from the dealer after applying silicone spray to my engine mounts & the low speed creaking has now gone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Sunseeker , be interested to see if it stays quiet after a day or so as that particular fix was very short lived for myself and clivemito

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Sunseeker , be interested to see if it stays quiet after a day or so as that particular fix was very short lived for myself and clivemito
Dealer did say that on another car with similar issues they had to replace one of the engine mounts (he said due to drying out), thinking about it my 60 plate Giuletta 1.4MA had the same problem but that car had BOSE audio system to hide it !!.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah! I have exactly the same problem, I took it into my dealer (Beechdale in Derby - absolutely diabolical), and they said nothing was wrong! Is it silicone spray to the lower engine mount?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah! I have exactly the same problem, I took it into my dealer (Beechdale in Derby - absolutely diabolical), and they said nothing was wrong! Is it silicone spray to the lower engine mount?
Ok , after some time car is now back dealers , at least given a loaner G whilst it is back in . I will update to let you know if they resolve it ( and if so what was done ) and if not where to go from there .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - Just had a call from Alfa , they believe they have found the issue which appears to be a loose or incorrectly sited AC pipe moving around , they are testing the car to be sure and I will then confirm if its finally fixed .
If possible i'll try and get a picture of whereabouts it is so anyone else with same issue can get it checked to see if that's also the problem .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car is now back and it all seems fine so far no bag of spanners noise at all now , spoke to the mechanic and I couldn't get a clear picture with my phone but all the AC pipes on the firewall were siliconed in their mounts and 1 of the pipes in the middle of the firewall was slightly re-formed as it was rubbing . Hard to believe all that noise was coming from that but time will tell .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well three months has passed and the creaking has returned, already spoken to dealer. Need to book it In for a new engine mount.

PS,

Just purchased a 916 Spider TS so now defecting to the 916 GTV / Spider forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts