Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

First of all a little about my car. Its 2 months old 159ti 3.2 Q4 Qtronic in Carbonio black with Black leather. (it was a factory order as i specced most of the options plus i had a pioneer avic hd3 fitted for the sat nav). Done about 5k miles now.

I'm an absolute car nut and i'm 27 but this is my first alfa and and i think it looks stunning. Performace and handling arn't bad for a big saloon (I race a Lotus Exige - so very little seems good in comparison).

I was a little worried about the build quility reputation but was reassured by the salesman and with the warrenty and a chap at work has had no real problems with his 159.

Anyway to the problems:

1: parking sensor disapeared into the bumper when i first washed the car - fixed by dealer and seems fine now.

2: last week found that the rear drivers side footwell was really wet. Just got it back from the dealer - apparently the aircon vent pipe wasn't connected from new so all the water was going into the rear footwell. All seems dry now and have been assured there is nothing else damaged / rusted.

3: One of the features of the car is the hazard lights flash when braking hard, it comes on way to early. Any half hard braking during enthusiastic drivng it comes on. About 10 times so far, can't imagine what the people behind think. Dealer has had a look and spoken to alfa technical -apparently it can't be turned off as its a safety feature !!! He is going to have a drive of another 159 with the big brakes to see if mine cuts in at the same point. Can anyone else out there with the big brakes tell me how hard they need to brake for the hazards to flash. i would have though it should come in when the ABS is about to cut in. (mine is way earlier)

4: Then one of the most annoying things is the beep everytime you look/unlock the car. It sounds like a microwave oven !! The dealer has tried to turn it off but apparently you can't.

5: Fuel mileage. Now i knew the 3.2 v6 was going to be thirsty but it is 3 to 4 mpg worse than my last car that was a jaguar x-type 3.0 V6 with 4wd as well. I hope it gets better the more in runs in (1k trip to scotland last week averaged 22.5mpg and that was taking it easy all the way)

Supposed to be having the car for 3 years, not sure that is going to happen and can't see me having another one at this rate.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I'm on my second 159:

1) Never had this issue with my sensors
2) Interiors been dry
3) I have the big brakes, never had this problem though, perhaps as a late 2007 build car mine doesnt have the feature - I do know about it though and if you activate brake assist, EBFD or ABS, the signal is ent.
4) Tip - open the boot then quickly press the doors open - it doesnt beep. BTW every Fiat group product with an Alarm has made these beeps for the last 10 years - and it is loud!
5) Its a heavy, big engined 4WD automatic - what mileage were you expecting?, my 2WD manual 2.4 Jtd only does. 30-35

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Firstly welcome to AO :)

Those are just minor niggles surely when compared to some other peoples problems on here. Don't keep driving the car with 'it's an Alfa it's going to go wrong' feeling.....................enjoy your car, and what a car. Stunning, a 3.2 V6 Ti :wow:

I am on my second 159 (and 4th Alfa) and both have been (touch wood) fine except for some niggles but nothing major.

Fuel economy isn't going to be this cars strong point but it should improve a little but as CJ says it is a big heavy, 4WD car.

My 2.4 JTDm averaged 32-33mpg and the 1.9 JTDm I have now does approx 40mpg - ok but not that great compared to some of the opposition.

Stop worrying and go out and drive it :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i don't expect great fuel economy but my last car was a big heavy 4wd with a 3 litre v6 aswell and that got 3-4 mpg better. Was more hoping people to say yeah it will get better as it runs in ???

So it does sound like my brakes / hazards lights are cutting in too early as all 159's have this feature and yours has never gone off. Would you mind finding a quiet road and brake quite hard at about 60 -65 mph and see how hard you need to brake for it to go off ???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah i don't expect great fuel economy but my last car was a big heavy 4wd with a 3 litre v6 aswell and that got 3-4 mpg better. Was more hoping people to say yeah it will get better as it runs in ???

So it does sound like my brakes / hazards lights are cutting in too early as all 159's have this feature and yours has never gone off. Would you mind finding a quiet road and brake quite hard at about 60 -65 mph and see how hard you need to brake for it to go off ???
Hi Chris

I get the hazards coming on all the time too, when I'm being a little enthusiastic, which is why I wanted BIG brakes :)

The car senses emergency braking and uses brake assist to put as much power through as possible, at the same time it warns drivers behind that you might be pulling up sharpish....... good for safety, a pain for nutters like us ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the other thread.

The dealer has spoken to alfa techincal who have said it can't be turned off. To me its not acceptable. I have just been to london and back today (249 miles) it came on twice during the journey. Neither of them were hard enough braking to justify hazard lights. (thats what brake lights are for !!)

I think it should only come on during severe braking when EBD / ABS is about to cut in. There is no way i can carry on having the car like this.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
It does sound like yours are more sensitive, mine only tend to activate under hardish braking, still too sensitive, but they wouldn't activate during a normal journey.

Perhaps they could try changing what ever sensor it uses, brake pressure perhaps. I remember a Merc I had it was built into the switch at the brake pedal.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
It can be really annoying once you become aware of some such a niggle.

It would be good to find out if yours is a calibration issue or whether you just tend to be really hard on the brakes by nature (because of the racing etc, the Exige may not even have a servo?).

I'm not surprised by that economy TBH with the V6. Maybe it will improve by a couple when loosened up.

....and welcome to AO. :thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the technician says he is going do a bit more digging around and speak to other people to what it detects when deciding to put it on.

And no i'm not joking, i must look like an idot, hazard lights flashing everytime i brake even slightly hard. I agree its a great feature and maybe help prevent an accident in the future. But its more likely to cause one at the moment as the person behind must think i'm slamming my brakes on if the hazards lights come on. So in turn they will brake much harder than they need to.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The signal to the ECU comes from ABS control unit, so if there is a problem, its with the ABS controller, which is an integral part of the pump/ valve block assembly.

I dont know whether its a hard input or on the CAN network. I'm not in this game anymore.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If it comes on when its not supposed to it could even be dangerous, if someone starts slowing down or swinging out to avoid you because he thinks you have a problem. I would reject the car if they can not fix it.

U

·
0 Posts
I believe the hazard lights are activated by an accelerometer rather than brake pressure, but wouldn't have a clue where it is located.
Should be an exchangeable component.
As this part is a bought-in component its not really Alfa's fault if it doesn't work properly.
Mine has briefly flashed the hazard lights once when braking heavily from xx mph (NOT xxx) - to be honest I don't have a problem with them flashing at any speed if it keeps some goon out of my back bumper.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Chris159 has complained about the hazard issue, as has GTLeigh with his Brera. It would drive me nuts and I bet it can be disabled via examiner.

As for the other issues, so much for the improved 2008 MY quality:rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
This happened to me when I test drove a Ti last month!! I was er, pushing on a bit and leaving my braking deliberately a little late to see how she would pull up. I applied the same pedal pressure as I would in my soon-to-be-gone Volvo S60, and set the thing off. The 'feature' seems too sensitive IMO, although I have to say that the Ti brakes took me somewhat by surprise, they are so good that I didn't actually need to hit the pedal as hard as I did if you know what I mean. With my driving style I reckon I would/will be setting it off perhaps once a week if I don't modify my driving.

Wouldn't make me think twice about having such a gorgeous car though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments so far chaps (seems a nice friendly & helpful website)

Hopefully we can get the issues sorted (its good and bad that other people have the same brake issue) and i can enjoy owning the car.

If anyone is around the derby area with a similar new 159 and wants to meet up to see if mine is over sensitive (or perhaps my driving) then let me know.

Chris

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't have a 159, but I'll happily drive yours.:lol: I'll keep a look out for you, you'll know when you see me.:lol: I'm often around Derby these days.

The fault with the hazards- cut the wire.:lol: I test drove a Pug 406 3.0 V6 coupe, and in 20 miles, it came on 8 or 9 times. I couldn't live with it. Not that I would ever have such a tasteless lump of jelly anyway.:lol:

I'm sure the fuel consumption will improve when the engine loosens up. Many owners have found that. Shame you specced it with the Q4 system though. Never good for fuel consumption, or even handling IMHO. Better with 2WD, VDU off and lift off oversteer- big saloon or not.;) Anything can go sideways if you try hard enough, and that include 7.5 tonners.:wow: :lol:

Hope you enjoy you're car. Very tasteful and well specced, if you don't mind me daying so.:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Do all 159's have this feature?? As the JTDM 1.9 with big brakes never had the hazards come on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do all 159's have this feature?? As the JTDM 1.9 with big brakes never had the hazards come on.
Mine does, comes on a little early on occasion. Having to brake sharpish when missing a turning is one example:eek: although that's prob acceptable.;)

Have to say it seems a bit sensitive but not enough to bother me that much.:)
Coming on during normal braking would appear to be too sensitive.:tut:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts