Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have an intermittent fault, 1 or 2 times a week when coming to a stop after driving for 3-4 miles at approx 70mph, diesel fumes appear from the front of the bonnet and then are blown through into the cabin this lasts until the engine is allowed to cool down or continuous driving continues for a 15 minute period. It is really embarrassing as everyone looks at an Alfa!
The local dealer has had the car back twice (once for a week!)and cannot replicate the fault. Also the fuel consumption is appalling over 4,000 miles the average mpg is 32! This has included several journeys long distance, even resetting the trip and driving at a constant 56mph the counter never registers an average above 40mpg!
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have now booked the car into another main dealer, to see if they can find anything.
Love the car but very frustrated
All the best
Hammer Fan

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
sorry no, I have never heard of this fault on a 159.

As for the mpg, I am getting 40mpg per tank seemingly no matter how I drive it.

Hope you dealer finds the problem:)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
DPF regeneration:confused: One of the diesel boys should be offer a better diagnosis but that's my bet:)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
DPF regeneration:confused: One of the diesel boys should be offer a better diagnosis but that's my bet:)
no diesel fumes from the front of the car................

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Not DPF. Sounds more like an exhaust manifold or fuel leak.
Just to clarify is it smoke or a diesel smell that's coming into the car :confused:

Smoke and my guess would be as F said, but fumes and it would be a fuel line leak :(

BTW I get no real diesel smell from the exhaust during a regen just a 'hot smell' ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
That's the smell I meant Nomes:thumbs:

It's been reported as like "burning rubber" on here before.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hmmm yeah sort of I guess :)

But the deffo no diesel type smell to it IME ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
BTW I get no real diesel smell from the exhaust during a regen just a 'hot smell' ;)
I don't get any smell at all during the regen. All I notice is that the fuel economy plummets for a few minutes every 500 or so miles. (Most of my miles are motorway and it drops from low 40s to mid 20s)

Is there any other obvious sign that the regen is happening?

Cheers
Hugh

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I don't get any smell at all during the regen. All I notice is that the fuel economy plummets for a few minutes every 500 or so miles. (Most of my miles are motorway and it drops from low 40s to mid 20s)
Is there any other obvious sign that the regen is happening?
Cheers
Hugh
I don't get a smell in the car at all either... I experienced the smell whilst standing behind the car one time after we stopped at a service station when the car was regenerating so didn't turn the engine off ;)

With the Novitec's fitted I get a noise deep exhaust note during regen too :D

Try full throttle whilst looking at you current mpg during a regen... it's :eek: :cry:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
the smell is only obvious (to me anyway) if you are outside the car, ie. when I get out to open the gates into my house and the car is going through a regen I can smell it, but never when I am in the car

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have an intermittent fault, 1 or 2 times a week when coming to a stop after driving for 3-4 miles at approx 70mph, diesel fumes appear from the front of the bonnet and then are blown through into the cabin this lasts until the engine is allowed to cool down or continuous driving continues for a 15 minute period. It is really embarrassing as everyone looks at an Alfa!
The local dealer has had the car back twice (once for a week!)and cannot replicate the fault. Also the fuel consumption is appalling over 4,000 miles the average mpg is 32! This has included several journeys long distance, even resetting the trip and driving at a constant 56mph the counter never registers an average above 40mpg!
Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have now booked the car into another main dealer, to see if they can find anything.
Love the car but very frustrated
All the best
Hammer Fan
fuel filter is directly above exhaust at the back of the engine - check the bottom of it for a drip - it dont take much diesel to make a right whiff!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
B******S! The smell of "Burning Clutch/Brakes" is the DPF doing it's job! So much for the "experts" on here....:lol: Not many of these youngsters know very much about modern cars.

I'll be banned now then..................:thumbs:
What a weird 2nd post:rolleyes: Also, why report yourself:confused:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
B******S! The smell of "Burning Clutch/Brakes" is the DPF doing it's job! So much for the "experts" on here....:lol:
HTF mentioned 'smell of burning clutch' :confused: :rolleyes:

There might be the smell of burning caravan log on account soon though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
HTF mentioned 'smell of burning clutch' :confused: :rolleyes:

There might be the smell of burning caravan log on account soon though :rolleyes:
Is it our regular Member of Parliament clone I wonder:rolleyes:

Nowt on the radar as of yet but could have wings swept and have the ground hugging radar on:wow:

Could be a newbie error;)

Ant's locked & loaded with a SAM as we "speak":lol:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Indeed :(

And how come it says two posts but there's only one :confused:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Indeed :(

And how come it says two posts but there's only one :confused:
The second was when he reported himself:lol:so only viewable in the staff area;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello Everyone,
Thanks very much for your posts. The car went into a different dealer and within 90mins i had a call saying they thought it was a cracked exhaust manifold or a badly fitted gasket. On closer inspection they found that it was the actual turbo and have since ordered a new one. Will pick the car up on Friday this means that since September 1st 2008 my car would have been off the road and in an Alfa garage for 20days!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts