Alfa Romeo Forum banner

new 156 range

Tags
156 range
781 views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  Sedici 
G
#1 ·
MK II 156s were launched in Switzerland last weekend.
Went to my dealer to have a closer look (no GTA test drive - but that will come).
All in all few changes-thanks god.
Still, I prefer the MK I because
- color coded rubber strips on f&r bumper
suck
- center console with all those glizty
bits looks somewhat OTT.
So if you're in the market for a 156 you might be better off with snatching up one of the last MK1s & pocketing the discount you might get.
As for the GTA I can't wait to get behind the wheel even if I would have liked it to look a tad more subtle & less bottom heavy.
m

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Two schools of thought here. Is is better to go for the last of an old model or the first of a new model.

Hopefully by the time a car is facelifted most if not all the bugs have been ironed out of the old model whereas a new model will always have a few bugs.

Whatdaya think?

Cheers
Mike

G
#3 ·
1 more point that speaks for the "old" 156.

Still, my 156 bought in May 99 didn't have a single fault todate despite getting trashed to the max. once a week on the german autobahn.

Wonder what happens if the 3-year warranty runs out this April!?

M

G
#4 ·
I'm no expert on this but I reckon a good thrashing every now and then actually helps a car run smoother.

Modern electronic engine management systems should mean that the engine runs the same no matter how you drive it but I dun know. Drive a car around town for awhile and after a week or so it starts to feel less responsive. Take it out for a high speed run and its like it "cleans itself out".

If I had to choose between two 2nd hand cars - 1 a round town runabout and the other, a car used primarily for open road trips - I'd probably tend toward the latter car.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Mike

G
#5 ·
I visited my local Alfa dealership today as was told that the revised 156 range goes on sale in the UK in late May, with the GTA version launching some time in June.

Changes externally are simply colour coded bumper strips, colour coded mirrors and colour coded front fog surrounds (nothing which couldn't be done to an existing 156, should you wish to do so.)

Veloce models will now get Selespeed style alloys. One new style of alloy wheel will be introduced, but no details yet given. Some new 147 colours will also replace some of the existing 156 colours and a new iridescent red/gold will be offered (although possibly only for the GTA model.)

Internally, new 147 style steering wheel, and centre console with dual zone climate control etc very similar to the 147. More options will be available, including xenon headlights, but overall, this isn't really a 'facelift' as such, as consequently, residual values will hardly be affected, so Alfa claim.

Engine-wise, only the 2.0 will be replaced with a 2.0 JTS (170bhp) and the 2.4 JTD also gets a 10bhp power hike.

Nareman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.