Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been reading the forums for a little while, but decided to finally create an account and post a question in an effort to curb my swearing.

I've owned a 2003 3-door 147 2.0 TS Selespeed for about 1,500km now. Bought it off an Alfa mechanic, with a full service history.

Since then, I've been attacked by a maniac passenger from another car in an unprovoked assault which saw my door get dinted and side mirror broken off, then the sunroof cables snapped, and now this rough running issue. It's fair to say that we haven't had the most trouble free start to our new lives together.

The car starts and runs very rough when cold. Previously it had been improving as it warmed up, but today it just didn't get any better with time. Previously it would hesitate and jerk around at about 2000rpm, but then smooth out as the revs increased. Now it idles rough and hesitates through the rev whole range. It feels like it's lost all of its power and seems like it isn't firing on all cylinders. Maybe the car and I are similar in that regard.

It isn't blowing any smoke and isn't back firing at all. Oil level is good. Put in a new tank of fuel and that hasn't changed things. Tried disconnecting the MAF, but that had no affect.

Any thoughts?

Mat

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Coils breaking down, clogged fuel filter, defective fuel pump, plugs, throttle body defective or lost calibration, slipped cam belt, defective cam position sensor, defective temperature sensor, defective lambda sensor... you're spoiled for choice. At this point you could really do with reading fault codes to pin down what's up with it. An EOBD reader/dongle/software will cost you less than having them read just once...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!

Is the diagnostics a case of plugging an OBD2 cable into the ECU, with the other end plugged into a laptop?

Is this the software I should use?
AlfaOBD

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The cheaper choice is
- an EOBD Bluetooth dongle eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Min...iagnostic-Auto-Interface-Android/261674553354
+ AlfaOBD or Torque (both Android, both have free versions).

The still cheap but more powerful choice is
- a wired EOBD / ELM327 connector eg this works http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222047071642
+ Multiecuscan on a Windows tablet or laptop. Again there is a free version, with some limitations. Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars

There are plenty of BT and wired connectors that work, and some that don't. The ones I mention above work for me. Others will have better ideas :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the chance to organise a cable or any software yet.

I did however stand behind the car while it was running, the other day. The petrol fumes nearly made my eyes water. The exhaust certainly doesn't smell normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issues with my 2005 147 2.0, replaced the coils and all was well for about a week. Then back to the same symptoms. Slowly replacing parts (battery, Lambda sensor, plugs, coil packs. But really need to nail it down so I'm not continuing to bleed money!

Did you have any further issues or did the coil packs solve it permanently?

Thanx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts