Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm brand new here and a first time alfa owner after picking up a 147 1.6 Lusso on Saturday from S&S Autos in Margate, Kent. I've long admired the 147 (brother in law owned one new on a 03 plate and raved about it!) and when I moved jobs and was doing £400 on public transport I decided to take the plunge.

The short of it is, the car was fine on a short test drive, had a full service history and has 62k on the clock, looked well looked after and seemed a bargain at £2,800. After reading about cam belt issues and other things to look at when buying I was very pleased that the cam belt was changed within the last two weeks along with the Tensioners and Water Pump with the pre sales service. So all looked good and off I drove. Traveling back along the A2 to London, I noticed that their was a knocking sound coming from underneath the drivers side (felt like it was coming from underneath where the pedals are situated) and as the miles progressed the knocking got worse. I can feel vibrations coming up the steering wheel also.

Today was the first day I used the car for work (60 mile trip on motorways) and the knocking and juddering is still there. Its defo worse when in 5th gear and when driving along at 60-80mph, and louder and more turbulent when i take my foot off the accelerator, easing when I step on it again. I've noticed that the rev counter is saying its doing 4/5000 in 5th (seems high). In lower gears on town roads the knocking noise is less frequent and not as severe but still present.

S&S autos have offered to look at it again next weekend but as I am not really "mechanically minded" I was hoping someone might be able to advise if this is a known problem or could it be related to the cam belt not being fitted properly, or any help in what it might be as I am worried I am in for an expensive and unfortunate episode having onbly just bought the car.

Many thanks folks. hope my next posts are full of the joys of life with my new 147.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been looking through all the other threads regarding juddering and vibrations and I'm not sure I can relate them to whats happening on my 147. I am experiencing the same judder if the car is free wheeling out of gear on the motorway. The clutch seems fine as does the gearbox also. Final point is I bought the car with a years MOT. Really at a loss, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
They will have had the right front wheel off to change the cambelt, so check that the wheel bolts are tight before you drive anywhere else.

·
Registered
262 Posts
as dave says check the right wheel torque also you could take the wheel off and check there is no crap around the hub,wire brush it off then replace the wheel and tighten according
steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I checked the wheel, seems pretty secure. I noticed on the drive home last night that the knocking had gotten worse so its back on the trains today :( The car was literally shuddering above 60 mph the and I have noticed that when I take my foot off the gas the car decreases in speed (not drastically but enough to notice) almost like I am applying the breaks slightly and the shuddering is worse. Just hoping I haven't bought a heap of trouble. the low milage and service history/recent MOT when I bought it did suggest otherwise so hoping its not to serious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts