Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm Scott, and have recently purchased a little Alfa 147 1.6 Turismo.
This is my first real Alfa but have had quite a few Fiat's and VW's beforehand.

Its quite an old little petrol Alfa and probably a little bland to the enthusiasts out there. But its quite nippy and well I love the look it and have done for years. Just never bitten the bullet. Despite everyone telling me not to.

I've had Fiats and know they need taking care off and regular maintenance to keep them tip top.

I'm soon to give this one a Service and Cambelt / variatior / Water pump / Tensioners change to ensure its ok. Its got a full service history but you never know and the last time it was changed was around 72K and its close to 100k now so will need it.

I'm pretty handy with a spanner anyway. But the common problems this car doesn't have and its generally been looked after by the looks of it.

Here's a picture

Doesnt feel as nippy as my old Fiat Punto JTD but that was mapped.
But I couldnt have an alfa with an oil burner...

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Will keep an eye out for you, which part of Brum you in? Will spot a metallic green 147 miles away!

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Hi Scott and Welcome to AO, enjoy the ride.

Check out the West Midlands lounge and pop alone to a meet (Clent on Wed eve) and say hello.

Lots of peeps to offer help and advice.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic to know about the meets. I live in the jewellery quarter but commute to Solihull for work. My you get brother and family live over Sutton. So I get about a bit in Birmingham.

It'll be good to get advise from members the suspension and handling of the car is great compared to some fiats I've had. The engines very lively. Just wish there was the additional torque but I guess I've been spooky with the mjet and jtd turbo engines in the mid range.

The redline is addictive. I guess getting early 30's mpg is pretty good going for an alfa then?

Even though it's quite an old car it does feel quite special inside.
I'm hoping though to upgrade the interior to a nice tan or cream leather should I find a decent set. I also like the multispoke 17 alloys. But I guess that's just personal preference. The alloys on mine are largely untouched on all 4 sets.

I got it for a bargin but it'll need a new cambelt and variable to keep it running well. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Anyone wrap all those pipes to stop them corroding or anything? Since that seems to be q common problem on power steering etc?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. 3 days into ownership of the 147 and I'm already falling in love with it.
Its outstanding how much I am actually growing to like it as a car.

I've not been that excited to drive to and from work since I had my motorbikes. It really is that good.
I also can't believe I paid £1000 for it (Although it does need the cambelt doing which I've started another thread and brought loads of parts for renewel to the cost of £250 soon to be fitted by myself).

I now understand why people say you must own an Alfa Romeo at some point in your car Career.

I now understand why people say it has a soul. I dont mind that it guzzles petrol and oil and I simply couldnt care less.
Best bit about it is that its only a 147. Which is pretty sensible and bland for the list of Alfa's.
Just wish I had brought one sooner. People even stop and look at it. An its nothing special.

Big Smiles so far!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts