Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not do sit by and do nothing. (Provided you can actually sit). :)

This is easy to say but there is so much truth to it. I understand that there is a uniformed bunch of bullies in the UK that are basically allowed carte blanche powers with little to stop them. No I'm not talking Mods.

They are known as 'The Bottom Inspectors' . Basically thugs that can make one's life a nightmare without answering to anybody.

Here is a snippet from a well-respected journal I was reading that had me in tears. It is so sad to watch our freedoms being eroded in such a brutal way.

In actual fact this post also has something to say about how WOT is being eroded by endless, tedious, fart, bum, poo, etc. etc. jokes(?). :D

Fight the power.
--------------------

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think too hard. Just an excuse to bring up one of my favourite Viz characters. The episode where all the prisoners found guilty of bottom crimes were sent to Coldbotz, (Colditz) was hilarious. The episodes were just so far over the top. :lol:

In other words the post is firmly tongue in cheek. (The facial cheek). :)

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Viz is hit and miss, always has been. Some characters are just hilarious.

This one? Meh! I didn't think that was funny enough to move me to tears. Maybe the humour is lost in translation?

I am struggling to see the point of your post Vic. Perhaps you could explain it a little more? At the moment it seems contradictory. Are you talking about the police force, because I don't think everyone here would agree that they are all as you describe. I have friends and family who are police officers and all of my own contact with the police force has been extremely positive. Or is this just a thinly veiled knock at any authority figure?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Viz is hit and miss, always has been. Some characters are just hilarious.

This one? Meh! I didn't think that was funny enough to move me to tears. Maybe the humour is lost in translation?

I am struggling to see the point of your post Vic. Perhaps you could explain it a little more? At the moment it seems contradictory. Are you talking about the police force, because I don't think everyone here would agree that they are all as you describe. I have friends and family who are police officers and all of my own contact with the police force has been extremely positive. Or is this just a thinly veiled knock at any authority figure?
Please don't look for a 'point'. Nothing should be taken literally at all in this post. The whole thing is based on a pretend over-reacting on purpose, to funny character representations within Viz. The editor of Viz based these 'Bottom Inspectors' on Tyne-side Rail Ticket inspectors. He never meant it seriously. The characters are so over the top they are hilarious. (In my view). It fits in with much of the whole genre of Viz. People either get it or scratch their heads thinking "What was that all about?". You're into art. I presume you've heard of surrealism and dadaism. Try taking that literally ?

Of course I know that these 'bullies' don't exist in this form nor am I making a comparison to RL authorities. My tears I refer to are tears of laughter and calling Viz a "well-respected" journal is hardly serious.

I guess my whole post is an attempt at a lampoon for better or for worse and I'm sure some will have got the joke but looks like many if not most won't.

The most important thing to stress is that I'm not having a go at real people or authority. Maybe authority taken to extreme.

Please just write it off as a joke you don't get. No malice was intended at all. Not everything written is supposed to hit a person like a literal sledge-hammer.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Please don't look for a 'point'. Nothing should be taken literally at all in this post. The whole thing is based on a pretend over-reacting on purpose, to funny character representations within Viz. The editor of Viz based these 'Bottom Inspectors' on Tyne-side Rail Ticket inspectors. He never meant it seriously. The characters are so over the top they are hilarious. (In my view). It fits in with much of the whole genre of Viz. People either get it or scratch their heads thinking "What was that all about?". You're into art. I presume you've heard of surrealism and dadaism. Try taking that literally ?

Of course I know that these 'bullies' don't exist in this form nor am I making a comparison to RL authorities. My tears I refer to are tears of laughter and calling Viz a "well-respected" journal is hardly serious.

I guess my whole post is an attempt at a lampoon for better or for worse and I'm sure some will have got the joke but looks like many if not most won't.

The most important thing to stress is that I'm not having a go at real people or authority. Maybe authority taken to extreme.

Please just write it off as a joke you don't get. No malice was intended at all. Not everything written is supposed to hit a person like a literal sledge-hammer.
I was actually pondering this thread as I drove to the gallery this morning and I have to say that I did "get" what you were hinting at before reading this ;) The entire mission-like behaviour of some people who then become easily distracted by something trivial is how I interpreted it. Am I right?

I am really amused by you thinking that I might not be into Viz. Like I said I did used to buy it and watched the TV programme. I was amused by Buster Gonad and The Two Fat Slags (the slags because they reminded me of two "ladies" in particular!), but, to be honest, I haven't seen Viz around for donkeys. Is it still being printed?

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
my fave

MOTORISTS Avoid getting prosecuted for using your phone whilst driving.
Simply pop your mobile inside a large shell and the police will think you
are listening to the sea.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Save Money on funeral expenses by painting your dead relatives grey and using them as garden statues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts