Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:Well, just got over the frozen handbrake cable and abs warning lighting from the bvig freeze, which eventually came right. now she's decided to turn up the heat.
Was on the motorway, within the speed limit + 10, and happened to glance at the temp gauge. To my surprise it was right up at the 3/4 mark, when she's normally at the 1/4 mark. Came off the motorway and temp started to rise further to just under red! Pulled over, checked everything and all seemed fine. Coolant level normal, oil level ok and normal colour. Let her cool down and set off again. Temp went straight up again, barely letting me make it home.
I have had a small whine on start up the last month which increased with the revs. Doesnt whine whilst idling and goes away after a few minutes. Had put it down to the cold weather but now suspecting something else. Whine is still there and temp goes up quickly after starting her up, whereas before she would take a while to warn up.
Am hoping this is a easy and economical problem. Any ideas?

·
0 Posts
Is there a flow of coolant into the expansion bottle?
Do you know if the waterpump is the plastic impellor type?
What state is the rad in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a 2000 2.0 T. New rad was fitted nearly 4 years ago. Not sure what type of pump it is. If a sqeeze the rad hose, the coolant moves. Hope that helps to diagnose?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Make sure the heater is hot and that the heater on full brings it down, but sounds like time for a new rad...

If the heater is not hot, then suspect waterpump. Which means a full cambelt job.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Do you know if the waterpump is the plastic impellor type?
QUOTE]

You're getting confused with the V6 pump. All Twin Sparks have plastic impellors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure the heater is hot and that the heater on full brings it down, but sounds like time for a new rad...

If the heater is not hot, then suspect waterpump. Which means a full cambelt job.

Heater is hot and does not bring it down. It only had new cam belts circa £2.5k ago. If it is the water pump, do the belts really need to be done again? Can the same belts be refitted?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Sounds like a waterpump to me, I had the same noise (whirring louder as you accelerate) and it turned out to be the pump - you dont need a new belt to change the waterpump but you do have to remove it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a waterpump to me, I had the same noise (whirring louder as you accelerate) and it turned out to be the pump - you dont need a new belt to change the waterpump but you do have to remove it ;)
Thanks Alfa Moo. Exactly the same sound, whirring louder on acceleration, and ducking down in the seat to hide your red face! You wouldnt happen to know how much it costs to fit a new pump, including removing and refitting the belts? A circa price would be useful so i can budget... or approximate how long she's gonna sit on the drive?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thanks Alfa Moo. Exactly the same sound, whirring louder on acceleration, and ducking down in the seat to hide your red face! You wouldnt happen to know how much it costs to fit a new pump, including removing and refitting the belts? A circa price would be useful so i can budget... or approximate how long she's gonna sit on the drive?
I had Smaky do it for me so priceless! Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Really not sure :( sorry, I used to live on IOW and know that there weren't many places near by.... I could be wrong - good luck! :thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just found the link to recommended garages so perusing that to see it theres someone local. Apart from steelers, there's not much down south... bit of a gap in the market perhaps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As an update, turned out it was a knackered water pump. Found a good little local alfa indy who picked up my car, took it to his garage...stopping 5 times on the way...and brought it back. Needed to remove the belts, which were only changed circa 3k miles ago, and changed the pump. All for £150, which I thought seemed reasonable. Running like a dream again... hopefully not tempting fate by saying that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts