Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Ti nearly three years now and it still staggers me the comments people make about it (and probably endless ones when i'm not around)

I live in Harrogate and lets just say it's Chelsea, Mayfair and Kensington in the main....Aston's, Porsches and Range Rovers everywhere....you are more likely to see an R8 than a mondeo.

For this reason it's pretty hard to impress people for sure with so many luxury motors about.

Today after cleaning the car i popped into the centre and parked up outside a shop, on coming out of the shop a group of about 10 people in their 30's and early 40's were admiring the car...i held back to listen...

"Wow - that's lovely that" followed by "Yeah i think it's an Alfa", then "It is and they are gorgeous" "Very nice" muttered the others before moving on.

Still puts a smile on my face after all this time - not sure many of our competitors get that attention :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have also had my 159ti for 3 yrs was going to exchange it for a giullietta cloverleaf but i cant bring myself to sell it nothing else out there for sheer beauty.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to upset one or two people (for a change) but i'm unsure of the look of the giulletta, it's a superb drive but for me is just far too generic in shape, almost an Astra....something you could never normally say about Alfa's

I keep me eyes open for an alternative but really the Evoque is the only thing that catches my eye and sadly that will be mainly driven by all the school run mums..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The 159 was very much a flawed diamond - the looks, though ageing quite rapidly now, still have a classic beauty, but the mechanical flaws meant that I parted company with mine after only 20 months. It ran as Alfa intended but did not have the refinement of its competitors and unlike the 156s and GT that I owned before it always disappointed me by not meeting my expectations.
I agree that the Giulietta is too generic (which may explain its relative success) but the design does not excite me at all. I could never see me buying one.
Sadly I suspect that Giulia when it finally arrives will be priced outside my budget.

Good looking alternatives to the 159 are few and far between. For me, the Evoque isn't one of them. Quite a number of 159 owners will face the same problem in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
Got to say i love my 159 and i really don't know what i will replace it with:confused:
At present i think it would be the Scirocco will have to see whats around in 18 months time.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nothing in the mid sized family saloon range is floating my boat the only car that caught my eye recently is the mazda6 replacement called the takeri looks different to most of the mainstream cars and with there reliability record could be a good stop gap till the 159 replacement becomes affordable whenever that may be :(

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand good looks 'ageing' in cars - a beautiful car is that for ever imho....it's not like a woman who may lose her looks over the decades. I appreciate tastes change but i can't ever imagine a time when the front end of the 159 doesn't look anything else but magnificent. Granted the back end is nothing amazing but the overall look still works very well for me.

Alfa are in a bit of a catch 22 - if they make more generic looking cars they may increase sales but lose the 'identity' that many of us have purchased one for...

Been driving Alfa's for 7years now since an RX8 and still nothing tempts me away...despite their nigles

·
Registered
359 Posts
I should be keeping my car for a few years, i kept the last car for 11 years.
Not so sure that looks age when there are so few 159's about. The beauty somehow gets diluted if the see the same on every street corner.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm sad to say but I am going to have to step to the dark side after my 159.
After a 33 Cloverleaf, 75, 155 V6 and my 159TI (there was a brief mistake with a Passat) there is nothing out there that has the aesthetic appeal of a 159.

I now need more space with a growing family and would of loved a 159 SW (or Guillia) but alas it is still some 18 months away and there will be no 159's when i come to change in July.

So for me I need some pace, space and reasonable looks so it is a Mercedes C250CDI Sport Estate, not exactly exclusive I know.

It will be interesting to see in 3 years time if a allure of a beautiful Alfa will bring me back of if the practical 'germanicness' will keep me away (i hope not)....

I can't help thinking Alfa will regret delaying the 159 replacement or even the fact it stopped RHD manufacture early as many will step away from the brand.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't understand good looks 'ageing' in cars - a beautiful car is that for ever imho....it's not like a woman who may lose her looks over the decades. I appreciate tastes change but i can't ever imagine a time when the front end of the 159 doesn't look anything else but magnificent. Granted the back end is nothing amazing but the overall look still works very well for me.

Alfa are in a bit of a catch 22 - if they make more generic looking cars they may increase sales but lose the 'identity' that many of us have purchased one for...

Been driving Alfa's for 7years now since an RX8 and still nothing tempts me away...despite their nigles
mmmmh that's an interesting point: my theory is that a car's aesthetics goes through 3 or 4 different stages

1) Brand new, fantastic looks etc..
2) Blending in with the rest out there
3) looking "old"
4) becoming a classic

I think Alfas tend to skip number 2 normally, they always manage to stand out, but while the looks of a 159 is still very contemporary IMHO, a 164 or 156 would fit in the 3, and an old Giulietta or a GT Junior are the kinda cars that stick to no.4.

The real cool thing about Alfa Romeos is that they always made a "one off" car, so if you had a 145, you know that there was just one 145, unlike BMW does with their series.. that gave a different spirit to the whole thing, but now, with the bloody Marchionne on the steering wheel and the introduction of the Giulietta, I thought they were trying to turn Alfa into a brand, completely changing the original "Cuore Sportivo"... then the Alfa 4C comes out, and apart for starting to save money for it, one wonders what they're planning on doing next!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts