Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sfned up for he free trial, watched a film on xbox and on ipad.

Bloody good quality, and a decent selection of films too

:thumbs:

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts
Just sfned up for he free trial, watched a film on xbox and on ipad.

Bloody good quality, and a decent selection of films too

:thumbs:

Netflix has just launched here :IRISH:

€6.99 a month for unlimited streaming, there doesn't seem to be much of a selection at the moment but supposedly more providers are yet to sign agreements.
I might sign up for a months trial before the offer ends if they have improved their selection of movies & supported devices ( Blu-ray player/media devices still to be supported here :IRISH: )

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Best PAYVOD for the UK according to Gadget show is actually the Tesco Blinkbox service

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Haven't watched any Blinkbox stuff yet despite their link to Dominos. Not a fan of Tesco but if it encourages the others to improve I'll manage ;) I'll wait until my free 2 month unlimited trial + 3 discs (inc. BluRay/PS3/DVD) trial of LoveFilm comes to an end before I look at the options. May give them all some trial time although Blinkbox isn't on PS3 yet but LF/NF both are.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
oh and no noticeable buffering with LF yet even though my connection speed has been down at around 2.5Mb at the moment.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
2.5 and no buffering is good. Not used any of them in uk just passing on Gadget shows ratings. As you say games platform access is attractive

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so no buffering at all on a xbox 360 and 4mb?
Yup, exactly

i was going to join but it seemed to want a credit card
it's one of those thing where they put the onus on you to cancel it after a month if you dont want it otherwise they just charge on a rolling basis...

D

·
0 Posts
Had a browse through netflix, not sure i want to pay after the 30 day trial as it seems i have watched all the movies on there and with my virgin media package i get everything on demand anyway.

V

·
0 Posts
Signed up at the weekend. Good stuff

However the film I watched said it was available in HD. But I couldn't figure out how to make it play in HD. I watched in SD and risked eye cancer. Anyone know how to change the settings?? I was watching through my PS3.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

However the film I watched said it was available in HD. But I couldn't figure out how to make it play in HD. I watched in SD and risked eye cancer. Anyone know how to change the settings?? I was watching through my PS3.
What speed do you get from your ISP?

G

·
0 Posts
I was going to say waste of time for us as we only get a poxy 1.2 Mb if we are lucky, but I see they say .5Mb is the minimum. We're usually above that..... Might give it a try.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

You don't, it auto-senses connection quality and ramps up to HD in the background by buffering where it can.

First film I started watching started off in fairly highly compressed AV, but shortly after starting to watch the quality was pin sharp.

I watched Sherlock on iPlayer last night in HD and every 10 seconds or so there was a stutter for buffering so I switched that back to SD.

Netflix is on the XBOX, iPlayer is on the Playstation, but they are both now dedicated apps so I do not know if they just use H.264 or a proprietary streaming method with far more advanced compression/decompression routines.

Could also be that if the software fior the xbox is better written it can more readily utilise the power of the xbox to rapidly decompress HD footage, I'd expect the PS to be better at this, but, historically Playstations platforms have been far harder to code on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts