Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Not having much luck with my MiTo so far!! Neither my front or rear washers are working - I can hear the pump in the passenger footwell, but I'm getting nothing other than slightly soapy smell in the cabin.

I've had a search and this seems to be an issue with the rear washer - but nobody seems to have mentioned the front one too. Anyone know if there's a second pipe that may have come detached in the cold weather?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they're frozen - the rear wasn't working but the front was, then I heard a slight change in tone from the pump, and the front stopped too. There's also the soapy smell in the cabin which suggests that the fluid is being dumped in the engine bay somewhere.

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the jets where frozen and you have popped the pipe off by using them.

just follow the washer fluid pipe under the bonnet/ boot and re attach it where it has come off.

Not really the cars fault. It has been -10 and if the jets are frozen the pump is creating pressure which has to go somewhere. Sooner the pipe comes off than the pump burn out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like the jets where frozen and you have popped the pipe off by using them.

just follow the washer fluid pipe under the bonnet/ boot and re attach it where it has come off.

Not really the cars fault. It has been -10 and if the jets are frozen the pump is creating pressure which has to go somewhere. Sooner the pipe comes off than the pump burn out.
Yep the same thing happened to mine last winter. Apparently it's quite a common problem.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool cheers guys I'll get out there tomorrow and have a look. I guess since they've both stopped it's likely to be just one pipe popped off right?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The pipe for the rear one is under the scuttle panel, it'll have popped at the join.

Follow the pipe down from the bonnet for the front ones and you should find it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup - pipe had popped off, although it popped off again straight away without being frozen so i guess there's a blockage in there somewhere. Dealer has agreed to cover it under warranty and is replacing the pipe/connectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I have the same problem. however I have discovered that when I press for the rear washer to work it is just leaking out from a pipe under the bonnet, this then empties the tank of all the fluid which is why you don't get any through to your front jets. Mine is about to go into the garage because they think I have a split pipe instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts