Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has just been round to show me the damage that her neighbours shed roof has inflicted upon here car. It appears that the new felting has ripped off and wrapped it's self over her car, major scratch damage to roof, rear quarter, passenger door, front wing, side window and rear quarter window. Is is possible to claim off their house insurance for this? No one home at minute but shes posted a note through door and wants to talk options. Should she inform her own insurance company at this point or wait to see out come of talks with neighbour?

Thanks

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I'd hang fire until she has a chat with the neighbours

Storm damage? Will your insurance pay ? and for what | Money | The Guardian

Cars hit by falling trees and roof tiles are covered on the same terms as damage to homes – and a comprehensive policy should payout. If your car was damaged by tiles from a neighbour's roof, you can recover the loss from their insurer, although, again it will take some time. It will be quicker to claim on your policy, but more expensive if you lose a no claims discounts.

Will it polish out?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not looking good, the neighbour was very apologetic and contacted her insurance who advised us to make a claim on our motor insurance. They are closed until saturday so I've got a some time to give it a coat of thinking about.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
You need, or rather your daughter needs, to claim on the neighbours house insurance via her car insurance company.

I speak from experience.:thumbup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need, or rather your daughter needs, to claim on the neighbours house insurance via her car insurance company.

I speak from experience.:thumbup:
Thanks. Yes i'll get onto them on Saturday. We are on Admiral multicar so it's my policy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This will affect your daughter's No Claims Discount if you inform your insurance company. I know it is a pure example of a 'no fault' claim but it will still count against her.

I would really try to sort it out directly with the neighbour in cash first.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This will affect your daughter's No Claims Discount if you inform your insurance company. I know it is a pure example of a 'no fault' claim but it will still count against her.

I would really try to sort it out directly with the neighbour in cash first.
I havnt had an estimate yet but i'm thinking a couple of grand to sort this out.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
If its as bad as you reported, and the estimate is thousands of pounds, I think the neighbour will wish to go through her house insurance, I would, regardless of the other parties wish to protect no claims bonuses.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'd certainly be claiming off the neighbour - its up to her if that means her insurance. It certainly is not in the power of her insurance company to instruct you to claim off your insurance.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
:( When house/building insurance is involved it's a pain.
My mate at work had his car damaged by tiles form his neighbour's roof. Basically his neighbour was told similar. "Tell your neighbour to claim off their car insurance". I think his neighbour went 50/50 on his excess.

Reactions: mossca

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
:( When house/building insurance is involved it's a pain.
My mate at work had his car damaged by tiles form his neighbour's roof. Basically his neighbour was told similar. "Tell your neighbour to claim off their car insurance". I think his neighbour went 50/50 on his excess.
I wouldn't have let them get away with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the glass on the car too a friend of mine had a similar incident happen to his car it wrecked the paint work on the roof but also scratched all the glass which would not polish out all the windows has to be replaced. As said earlier he had to make a claim off his car insurance to make a claim off the neighbours insurance just make sure you keep on the insurance case to ensure it gets processed as a non fault claim because my father got done over by his insurance company tesco at the time in a similar situation his car was parked near a building that caught fire when he put a claim in they fixed his car but filed it as a claim the problem is you never know if there insurance is the same company as yours. Good luck I hope you get sorted with no major impact.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
You don't have to go through your insurance company to claim off her insurance company, but it might be easier to do so. They will have a 3rd party claims department. I've done this recently with a neighbour who reversed into my wife's Golf - spoke directly to the neighbour's insurer and dealt with them myself through the whole process.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the quote back today. £993 so not as much as I first thought. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts