Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have a bit of withdrawal now that the 156 is gone, and , nice as it is to drive every day, the 159 does not 100 % float my "Alfa" boat, I need to get stuck back into this project.....
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-classic-alfa-romeos/191136-my-new-project.html

I have been buying and collecting bits for the past year or so, I think this could scratch that itch ..... I hope so anyway..... Frost's 2600 and '55 Giulietta Sprint just reminded me of my roots the other day...... I love classic Alfas, I need to get this sorted in 2012.....:inlove:

Its looking a bit worse for wear at the moment, I stripped off quite a few bits .... When I look at the proper before pics, I cannot believe there was rust under some of the paint.....:(

Man, I love Bertone GTs:thumbs::inlove::D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Nice, still going to go with the 1750 look? Mine is going in for some spraywork on Monday. Bought two decent doors (finishing the ms priming by tomorrow on the one door) which were extremely hard to find. Then putting on and stripping the car for spray. I'm thinking of getting some Gunterlites in matt silver or black to replace the naff rims.

Attachments

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, I am still doing the Alfaholics replica look, but I am still not 100 % sure if I want the Wide body.... perhaps a different project for another car/time.

I love the Minilites, they suit a 60's/70's car so well....

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the widebody look. The newer Juniors have bigger arches anyway. I want to kick myself for not having ordered the sills when the rand was up earlier this year! Good luck with the work, man! Is this going to be your holiday project?

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holiday, weekends, evenings. ..... whenever I can spare the time (and cash).
To be honest I need to start looking after my own health for a bit too, I have been working like a deamon for the past year or two, and at 40 I feel like I should retire..... so some rest and simple family time is also important now.....
I only work on the cars when I absolutely need to clear my mind and feel the urge.... otherwise I tend to botch things.....

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES :D
You may swear a lot, have no skin on your knuckles, and have a depleted wallet, but when you sit there , late at night, covered in oil, grease and blood, staring at your Bertone GT, you know its all worth it....
To me it is definitely a way of letting go of the daily grind..... therapy for Alfaholics :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
True. It really is like living a soap opera of ups and downs in one night when they need work. I haven't touched my Junior in a long time because I took on too much work this year, and my back, clothes, nails, skin, wallet and wife seem to like me so much more! I think I need another project. I sorta miss the smell of car fluids, not sleeping and swearing by myself in the garage...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I use the resto projects as a sort of gearhead spa, some people spend bucks on playing golf, going to yuppie hang outs etc, I would just rather spend time in the garage building cars, so go ahead Eric, I think its a way healthier hobbie than most get her done , so we can go on a propper trip with her and the 2600 in 2 years time (thats my deadline anyways, then I will have some spare time so gonna go on a trip around the coast of SA in her, plus u and the wicked junior retro-resto)
I must be honest and say that retro is back in a MASSIVE way if u guys follow overseas trends, there is no better time to get into old cars, weather u 20 or 80 , Retro is becoming cool again!!!!!!!!!

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm afraid my ride will not be up to the 2600 standard :(..... I mean both in the quality of the resto as well as the comfort.
Mine is going to be stripped of the few luxuries it posessed in the first place, in effort to save weight etc.... No sound proofing, racing seats (retro) etc.
I seriously doubt my wife and son will enjoy such a trip (I will)..... so possibly they will need to tag along in the Diesel barge.... (in case of probable breakdown)

I have always wanted to do a "solo" roadtrip, but with some fellow classic car enthusiasts.... rough it a bit to keep costs down.

We must definitely plan this, we could even drag along some 116 Giulies :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
116 Giulies lmfao...I took the car to work today with a bonnet tied with cable ties and wire...:tut: and when I parked it and got out I just saw steam and some coolant on the front bumper...wtf. I didn't even bother to look, just closed the door, looked at it and continued to my office. I have a meeting now in the plant at 11am...lets hope it will make it there and back lmfao. THIS is NOT what I'm in the mood for. My overflow bottle has a moerse hole in it...could be that? Its very small things that I need to get fixed but don't have time, today is the 1st time in 2 weeks i'm back in the office again and that means 250unread WORK mails wtf. When I think of openening that stupid bonnet I somme want to sell the effing car...who wants it?

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
That GT in Cape Town is a rotting carcass. It is by far the worst example I've seen for that kind of price. The car and the GT reflected in the window in the second pic in the ad (shown below) were bought from a deceased's estate (both advertised for R12k each).
I wanted the GT then, but a guy in Worcester beat me to it. The guy was definitely looking to make money off these cars so he advertised quite soon after. This is the new owner based in Swellendam. He had the GT on for R28k and this non-running rustbucket for R17.5k. I phoned about the GT when it was advertised, hoping to make an offer and asked him if these were the cars from Worcester. He lied and said no. That second pic in the ad gives the game away though (red Alfetta GT with CW registration).

Attachments

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See, this is the value of AO.... someone on here would always know, or be willing to go see these cars.

Thanks El. now we know :thumbs:

In the very last pic I can also see where the bumper brackets are torn out..... looks like they used this as a tow hook point.....
Lotsa rust in that front valance

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
No prob, Eric:thumbs:! I got saved a GP trip by DNA today:D. I do wanna call this guy about some of the chrome bits for spares.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts