Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey AOs hope you're all doing well.

So I'm developing an app but before I go out and actually get it finalised and done, I want to make sure i can validate the idea with who else than car enthusiasts. I came up with the idea when I was driving around New Zealand from the North Island to the South Island and needed to figure out when we needed to stop.

So my app idea can be found here: Fuelr

The name of the app is: Fuelr

What does it do:
- Automatically tells you where to make fuel stops for your long journey.
- Asks user to create a car profile, which will then grab that specific car's engine and fuel consumption details (as per the car manuals and stats) - this will be done once
- Asks the user to enter in the journey details, via the mapping tool
- It will then find along that journey the fuel stops that need to be made based on your specific car model (e.g. Alfa 159 2.4 JTDm might need to stop twice on a 1200km journey, but it will tell you exactly which stops to make and when).
- It will provide you the latest fuel prices (where applicable) so you get the best prices for that stop.

So my questions to you:
- Would you use an app like this?
- How much would you pay for an app like this?
- What would you like to see in the first or subsequent releases?

I want to make sure that what I develop it meets us as drivers requirements.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
TBH in the UK there is always a petrol station. The roads are full of them in 95% of the country. I'm sure there are a few places (Scotland) where they are a bit scarce.

I've never thought about where I might need to stop for fuel on a route, you look at the tank and just stop at the next station and it won't be far. I know in Australia that is a totally different story (from TV).

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I wouldn't rely on a static profile for the consumption. Allow the user to use your app as a consumption logger, and you'll can get the real average consumption from it that way.

Does your app account for opening times of filling stations?

I wouldn't use such an app: a. you're not developing it for the phone I use, and b. my various sat-navs will already let me find a fuelling station while driving. As mentioned: in Europe, the density of population means that you're never more than a reserve-tank's journey from a filling station. Also, any very long journey will involve using motorways, which have regularly signposted filling stations.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It's comparatively rare to make a trip in the UK that exceeds the tank capacity, usually at least 400 miles, so you just fill up at the nearest town to the start/end.

Even if you fill up on the motorway and pay the ~10p/litre premium, the extra costs you about the price of a sandwich. I might have a faint interest in an app that told me I could leave the motorway, fill up nearby for a lot less and then return, but the inconvenience and extra fuel spent driving there soon reduces it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm all very valid points. This is good feedback and input.

Yeah it is something that is different down here. when travelling between sydney and brisbane for example it would be useful, especially if I am taking a route I have never gone before.

The motorways in australia do have signpost petrol stations but you will only really know as you are driving, so you can't really pre-empt where to stop, until you need to...

Keep the feedback coming, i like it :)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
What would be cool is if you could link it with an obd reader, (the on board computer can tell you your range), if you could link it so the app can use that to calculate where to stop, that would be cool, as it would change depending on your driving style. Also save the hassle of inputting it all ( you could charge more for linked bluetooth obd dongles too!
For the uk it could be useful if you know the fuel prices, people would be more inclined if it could direct you to the cheapest place along your route when you get to say 75miles left.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

R

·
0 Posts
What would be cool is if you could link it with an obd reader, (the on board computer can tell you your range), if you could link it so the app can use that to calculate where to stop, that would be cool, as it would change depending on your driving style. Also save the hassle of inputting it all ( you could charge more for linked bluetooth obd dongles too!
For the uk it could be useful if you know the fuel prices, people would be more inclined if it could direct you to the cheapest place along your route when you get to say 75miles left.

I would want this, together with price info, could this be gained by your app from the various websites?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah so, i have found a few online services, both australian and international that list daily prices for "most" petrol stations.
So theoretically it could happen, but obviously it won't show the price at the independent petrol station. The bigger chains like Caltex, Shell etc publish their prices online on a daily basis.

The OBD idea is good. It would be like https://www.automatic.com which is currently available in the US. But doesn't work for diesel cars.

The other competitor is Dashly. https://dash.by

I wanted to make mine just a simple single purpose thing, i.e. Fuel...

maybe need to expand to more features?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
yeah so, i have found a few online services, both australian and international that list daily prices for "most" petrol stations.
So theoretically it could happen, but obviously it won't show the price at the independent petrol station. The bigger chains like Caltex, Shell etc publish their prices online on a daily basis.

The OBD idea is good. It would be like https://www.automatic.com which is currently available in the US. But doesn't work for diesel cars.

The other competitor is Dashly. https://dash.by

I wanted to make mine just a simple single purpose thing, i.e. Fuel...

maybe need to expand to more features?

Yeh, think it's a crowded market without a differentiator. in the uk we have petrol prices pro, it used users fuel cards to work out prices.i reckon the trick would be to make a decent profit on a blue tooth obdII dongle, can be had for £5, link it to your app and that's easily £20-30.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts