Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 159 3.2 v6 q4 with 170000km
there is a small vibration from 70 km / h. the vibration is constant. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Brera '06 2.2 JTS
81 Posts
Where in the car can you feel the vibration, throughout the whole car or only in the steering wheel, etc?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check the propshaft bearing that goes to the rear diff, apparently that's a common failure on the Q4s in some fashion.

An easy check is to make sure your wheels are tight - had my 2.2 making all kinds of vibrations that ended up being one of the wheels was a little loose. Can't remember if driveshafts on their way out vibrate as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the propshaft bearing that goes to the rear diff, apparently that's a common failure on the Q4s in some fashion.

An easy check is to make sure your wheels are tight - had my 2.2 making all kinds of vibrations that ended up being one of the wheels was a little loose. Can't remember if driveshafts on their way out vibrate as well?
thank you I'm going to check, it's the bill that's going to hurt !! do you think it could be the differential or is it rare? how much does the propeller shaft cost? and how much is the differential?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't think the rear diff often goes, but I'm not sure if you can get the prop bearing replaced easily. Not too sure on costs, sorry! There's been a few threads on here with regards to prop bearing replacements if my memory serves right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you I'm going to check, it's the bill that's going to hurt !! do you think it could be the differential or is it rare? how much does the propeller shaft cost? and how much is the differential?
Hello friends I am following up I checked, none of the wheels are loose. I drove today, I'll give you more details. Big vibrations are felt going up from the floor to the seat and then takes the body. This happens beyond 50 / 60kmh when I accelerate, that is to say by loading the vehicle. At constant speed very little or almost zero vibrations. Can someone help me ? Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hello friends I am following up I checked, none of the wheels are loose. I drove today, I'll give you more details. Big vibrations are felt going up from the floor to the seat and then takes the body. This happens beyond 50 / 60kmh when I accelerate, that is to say by loading the vehicle. At constant speed very little or almost zero vibrations. Can someone help me ? Thank you

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Can you get underneath the vehicle and check the propshaft where is attaches to the transfer box and rear differential and also the state of the two bearings? If there's movement it's likely that you will need a new propshaft as they aren't serviceable. If the wheel bolts are tight and you don't have bearings rumbling when you drive i think the propshaft is the likely cause of your vibrations, especially if it gets worse when you drive faster.
Guy

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If no issues with the propshaft, get your tyres checked for balance, I had one of mine cause a ridiculously bad vibration.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’d have thought a tyre balance problem would just occur at certain speeds, but he says this only happens when accelerating and above a certain speed. If it goes away once a certain speed is reached, then I’d have thought that points to something in the drive that’s load related. Then again, I’m no car mechanic, not by a long way 😊

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Fair point, just another thing on the list to check, I thought mine was driveshafts, weirdly it was only under load and around 70mph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts