Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend "Firecracker" has had her 2.2 JTS Spider for just under a week. Last night she went to put the roof up after enjoying a blatt thru the sunny countryside. The roof broke.

She was, understandably, a little fed up. And when the AA bloke turned up to tow the car away, he announced " well, you'll ALWAYS get problems with Alfas... nice to look at but always breaking down!"

Blimey, I thought that stupid attitude died out in the eighties. Firecracker's now worried cos she thinks the AA guys sees a lot of cars so therefore knows what he's talking about. I tend to differ - and HATE generalisations like these anyway!

And this is where I need your help: please can you message her, or add to her few threads here - just to give her a bit of encouragement? ALL cars break down - and our cars are no different. But they have passion, style and drive like a dream...

THANKS!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Did he really have to tow away the car just because the roof stuck?? :p

Anyway you're quite right, Alfas are in my experience no more unreliable than any other make. In fact both of mine have been paragons of reliability as well as being lovely to drive and making me feel proud to own them.

Mind you I don't go poncing about in convertibles. :thumbs:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Brera 2.2 and Spider 2.2 both far more reliable and less trouble than previous BMW. In fact looking back I had a Giulietta in the late 70's early 80's and that never gave me any real trouble. I had the hood problem with my Spider the day after delivery - annoying but it was fixed quickly and car has been as good as gold since.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bought my 156 W-plate in November.Since then I've put on 10,000 miles. Aside from normal servicing the car has been impeccably behaved. The only unscheduled expense has been from a break-in caused by user error; I mistakenly thought I'd hidden my i-pod away sufficiently :mad:
My last car was an 05 E320 CDI and I can honestly say I've not missed it, even though it was a great car too in it's way.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - I knew you wouldn't let us down.

Already I can point her to this thread to help cheer her up. Oh, and Freddie; the roof was stuck half way, so yeah - the car was undriveable.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Had my 2.2JTS Spider for over a year NEVER any trouble, you'll notice that the people who say Alfas are unreliable have never usually had the pleasure of owning one.
Get back to you Jap boxes or Mondeos knockers!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
As a matter of fact, now I've started, they always say "I've heard" or "someone told me" or the classic "Alfa Romeo aren't reliable, someone I knew had one 15yrs ago and it broke down all the time":mad:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thank you so much! I was devastated last night but feel better already.......Look forward to the return of my Spider!
I guess few of the people who pass negative comment have actually owned one.
Probably comments made out of jealousy!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ignore the AA man.......he's talking bollix, my first alfa never missed a beat in 18 mounths and my second is fine too after fixing the fault i new about when i bought it........look after it and enjoy :thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, new car driver, just passed my test. Had to get an alfa! There beautiful. Just got one small prblem spoiling my fun....I have an alfa romeo 156 2.0 twin spark.
As it hits 4000 rpm it begins shuddering and refuses to go any faster. I then have to change up. Obviously this affecting the top speed and acceleration.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Thank you so much! I was devastated last night but feel better already.......Look forward to the return of my Spider!
I guess few of the people who pass negative comment have actually owned one.
Probably comments made out of jealousy!

Probably! :lol: And just because he works for the AA doesn't make him an expert.

The problem is, compared to BMWs, Fords etc, there are relatively few Alfas about. So when one decides to play up, it gets noticed. I can honestly say my two have not had any more issues than other marques. New cars? Almost anything these days can have issues from the start. And pre-owned, well, how well was it maintained before? Sometimes even the Alfa service people don't know what they're looking at... :rolleyes:

So just enjoy! And smile sagely when the jealous types start knocking Alfas. Until they've owned one for themselves, they don't know anything.

After all, we just need to point you in the direction of Jeremy Clarkson's love of Alfas...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Hey everyone, new car driver, just passed my test. Had to get an alfa! There beautiful. Just got one small prblem spoiling my fun....I have an alfa romeo 156 2.0 twin spark.
As it hits 4000 rpm it begins shuddering and refuses to go any faster. I then have to change up. Obviously this affecting the top speed and acceleration.

Hi and welcome! Try posting in the 156 tech lounge, someone should be able to help out... :thumbs: -- might be the MAF?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Thank you.
I'm miserable without my Spider! I take comfort from so many people being positive though!
As you say there are fewer of us on the road so that makes them very conspicuous.
I will enjoy the driving experience much more when I get 'her' back!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Traded in my 147 last week. 03 reg with 94,000 miles, never broke down once :)

More that I can say for the Saab I had before it...

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Thank you.
I'm miserable without my Spider! I take comfort from so many people being positive though!
As you say there are fewer of us on the road so that makes them very conspicuous.
I will enjoy the driving experience much more when I get 'her' back!
You have one of the most beautiful cars on the road, the 2.2JTS is a very reliable engine and it has an Alfa badge on it. Ignore the AA man - an opinion born out of very old news and prejudice.

Shall I tell you about the new Mini convertible I saw just two nights ago driving along with the roof stuck partly open?

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
i find it amusing that the 'experts' on Alfa reliability are always the people who have never actually owned one. :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The Sprint Veloce covered 280,000, The 33 Green cloverleaf 250,000,and my current 147 has 70,000. None have ever left me stranded !:cool: Enjoy the Spider when it gets home, they are gorgeous cars.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It makes me so sad that you're without yours too........
Next week they will both be back and there'll be lots of fun to be had!
Can't wait!!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts