Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed about 100ml leaked under the car this morning, it appears to be a green oil, i am guessing its Gearbox oil. After a closer inspection it appears to come from the front left drive shaft area.

Could it be the intermediate driveshaft seal? how expensive would it be? is it a bog job?
Also noticed gearbox clunking more, but no lights on dash for any gearbox issues.

Alfa 166 1999 model 142,000km 24v 3.0

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,514 Posts
Gear box oil is red (dark red /brown if old), what colour is you coolant water?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Coolant would also drip down, run down the gear box near the drive shaft area.

Rubber gloves on, touch the drip. Oil will be very slippy, coolant not so slippy. Check the dip stick back of te gear box.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Also sends people blind lol and shuts down the nervous system.

Check two pipes near the thermostat for leaks, also might be a trace of water on the gear box.

Did you touch any pips or do any work on the car?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't test the taste you never know what it could be!
I always check for leaks as I approach the car. Many years ago I noticed liquid under the car, following the tasting method couldn't decide what it was so tasted it again only then did I realise a dog had pee'd on the wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,514 Posts
Air con water from the evaporator?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I can't see the picture, but could it be power steering fluid? The pipes are vulnerable to road grit and salt, and mine corroded through the other day.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I remember a scandal of Austrians added the stuff to improve the taste of their wines in the 1980s
And at that time I saw a sign proudly displayed on a rack of antifreeze in a French filling station: "Guaranteed no Austrian wine added".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts