Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to abandon my 156 at the side of the road, a few villages away from me after the brakes locked on, on the way home from work tonight, What can it be, I hadn't heavy braked for anything, but did sit for a few minutes with my foot on the brake in an uphill queue of traffic, even if it is a big repair then i would welcome advice as to temp solution to get it back home! Please help if you can. Thanks. (PS RAC membership expired a couple of months ago unfortunately.):mad:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have had to abandon my 156 at the side of the road, a few villages away from me after the brakes locked on, on the way home from work tonight, What can it be, I hadn't heavy braked for anything, but did sit for a few minutes with my foot on the brake in an uphill queue of traffic, even if it is a big repair then i would welcome advice as to temp solution to get it back home! Please help if you can. Thanks. (PS RAC membership expired a couple of months ago unfortunately.):mad:
I dont know Alfas at all, but if it were me I would be looking at sticking calipers, faulty ABS (you could try disconnecting the ABS regulator/pump electrical plug). Not sure how the handbrake works on these, if its a drum, the mechanism inside might be stuck on?

Only suggestions, but Id wait for someone who knows how the Alfas ABS/braking system works to reply?

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that backs up what a local guy said about the abs possibly OVERWORKING? After about an hour i went back for it and it was ok, brakes worked as they should and got home great.
Have a meeting in Northallerton tomorrow so I hope to god it gets me there.....and preferably back as well.
Thanks again :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,178 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well made it to the meeting and back with no faults at all, but have been told by a local mechanic that my new brake fluid has reacted with the old and has gone sludgy causing problems in the abs pump. Have been advised to flush through the system with new fluid to see if it solves it and if not to look at getting a new abs pump.
Thank you to all for advice / opinions!

·
0 Posts
Glad you made it back with no issues :D

Who flushed it last time? - would like to know how that caused the brakes to lock TBH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Confession time, full info as follows: My OSF brake pipe burst and of course my fluid leaked out (3 weeks or so ago), I kinked the pipe to stop the leak but overnight it carried on leaking, next day I squashed kinked and bent the pipe in order to get it to a garage, but the fluid was so low I had only a drop of fluid left so in my wisdom I topped it up with what I thought was brake fluid! later that day the garage after fitting the new pipe bled my brakes but the fluid was coming out bubbly, thick, lumpy and BRIGHT YELLOW??? they flushed it through with new fluid and it seemed to be ok. It turned out when I got home that I had used Brake & SUSPENSION fluid for Citroens......OH S*#T. The brakes have been fine until last night and now my local mechanic has looked in to it he believes that some of the wrong fluid has been left in the system and reacted again, which I have to agree with as the reservoir is not exactly normal (sort of yellowish) So the moral is USE THE RIGHT FLUID!!! And yes I know....I was a bit of a plick! :mad: PS not mentioned the garage name as it is my fault and not theirs and I don't want people getting the wrong idea and bad mouthing them!

·
0 Posts
:lol: thanks for the honest confession :clap: - well played :D

Hope it get sorted for ya fella :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Some cars with disc rear brakes have a hand-brake drum inside the disc!
Thanks, that was what I was thinking, my dads calibra chewed its springs inside a while back and pulled a brake on - handbrake, inside the drum, with disc on the outside for footbrake.

Glad you got it sorted in the end!:thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts