Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I would really appreciate some ideas with my problem. Might be a few different issues.
First off all, I have the classic split turbo hose symptoms. Loss of power, lots of black smoke with hard acceleration and loud whistling noise. I also have a sulphur smell in the cabin, and a thin deposit of soot under my bonnet.

I have removed the bottom hose between the turbo and inter cooler, and the top hose between inter cooler and intake manifold and inspected them thoroughly, but could not find any splits or holes. The bottom hose is completely covered in oil though. I also noticed some oil in the resonator box. Mainly where the MAF and turbo pipes connect.

These symptoms have been present for a while, but seems to progressively get worse.

I have recently done a full 100 000 km service, including oil change, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter (it was horribly caked up with dust) I was hoping that this would alleviate some of the symptoms, or even clear them. I was suspecting the air filter as the main culprit for the smoking issue and maybe loss of power as the motor could not breath. I also changed the thermostat, as the car was running cold.

Non of these seem to have made any improvement.

Any ideas on where to look next would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
What about te EGR? when I had powerloss, and smoke was due to split hoses and busted EGR valve, it could just need some cleaning?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cleaned it a while back, but will look into it again.
Might be unrelated, but the loud whistling and oil on bottom hose worries me. It points to a split hose, but I can't find it. Anything else that can be the cause ?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I cannot really offer any help, sorry Lourens, but post this under the 156 tech section, one of the UK guys can surely help..... thay have plenty more Diesels over there to go wrong.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Is the whistling under acceleration? or revving? Had one helluva annoying ringing/whistling sound awhile back

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whenever the turbo spools up. I swear I can hear the bloody thing blowing air into the engine bay, but like I said, no splits or holes in the pipes.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Blockage in intercooler, dirty injectors, too little air / too much fuel perhaps?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Can you run a diagnostic?

Are there any engine management lights on?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lourens, did you ever get to the bottom of your troubles?

My wifes 147 jtd was smoking a lot when we got it, but I found a split in the upper turbo hose and replaced it. However there was still quite a lot of turbo lag which I knew was pretty much the MAF. Also I was getting a lot of smoke when flooring it.

To cut a long story short, I've found that the MAF was fouled with oil. I found also that the pipe from the turbo to intercooler was sodden with oil (found the lower pipe must have been replaced before I bought the car).

So my conclusion is that the MAF must somehow be getting soiled with oil from the turbo, (even though it's upstream). I'm suspecting the turbo oil seal is on the way out.

I've just replaced the MAF with a 2nd hand one which has definately made a big improvement (and most of the smoke is gone). However, when the MAF gets soiled with oil again I'll be back to square one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts