Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Im new to this forum and don't have a great knowledge of alfa's so some advice would be greatly appreciated if someone can offer me some: I am currently looking at a ex demo dec '05 159 1.9jtdm turismo with 7,000 on the clock (£14,950) and i have placed a holding deposit on the car, but when i test drove it earlier there was a crunching noise from the manual gear box when changing from 2-3 and accelerating hard. The car is obviously still under warranty so i was assured the problem would be rectified before i arrange a pick up date. The garage rang me back later this afternoon to say that they are replacing the entire box which in a way is what i wanted to hear. This did lead me in to thinking that a car of such a young age and low mileage should not need major work needing done though. So i guess what i really need is some other (more educated) opinions on wether this is a common problem or if the gear box is notoriously fragile or if its a sign that i should stay away from this motor? If i go with my heart then i will have to buy it as the styling is truely stunning and for a small engine it has a decent amount of poke, my head tells me otherwise though! Any relevant info will be a massive help.....cheers!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
No, mine has 13,000 miles on it and no transmission issues.

I fluff the odd gearchange and havent damaged the transmission.

It is very tight when new, about 10,000 miles in before it frees it.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I had this issue on my old 156 20v JTD and they replaced the gearbox under warranty.
No gearbox issues with my current 159 as yet, although its reluctant when cold :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I seem to recall a couple of people have reported problems with the gearbox, if memory servies me correctly is was a quality control issue that has now been rectified...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your insights, im torn between it and a audi a3 2.0tdi sport think i will have to go for the alfa but maybe wait for another 1 to come along (keep you posted). Just out of interest which colour scheme do you think is best for the 159: Rubino red with black leather or the Dark grey with lighter leather? My g/f wants the red and i want the grey...uh oh a domestic on the horizon lol!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Black with red or tan leather. Looks :cool: IMO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm on 34,000 km and no gear box problems- I don't think you will regret buying the 159, mines a year old next week and I still love every minute in it

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah the only issue I've had with the gearbox is when its a cold morning and I come to put it in reverse to back down the drive and sometimes it sticks otherwise a beauty to use on the move. Of course this never happened until someone posted a comment about it on the forum then it happened to me the very next day :rant: Not sure reading this forum is always a good thing :)

Alfa, BM, Audi???
All I can say is I love watching the heads turn as I drive past. You don't get that with a BM or Audi. Why should you when people can see them anytime and anywhere.

I'd also go for the grey (Stromboli Grey I think it is) That was the colour I would have got if I hadn't bought the ex demo.

18,000 miles and I have loved everyone of them:D :D :D

Roll on the next year when I can start looking forward to getting the all new lighter and faster 159 (if Alfa get their finger out)

·
Registered
137 Posts
LIMPAR

Don't worry. It took my 156 about 25000 miles to completely free up the change from 1st to second. It was always ok when hot in the summer but now it is pretty good all the time. All the Alfa gear boxes I have owned over the last 36 years have always needed to free up over the miles.

Sounds like a nice car and if you have a good dealer then go for it and ENJOY.

Nick

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah buy one mate, you won't regret it.

Some people have reported gearbox trouble but that seems to be sortable through the warranty (and so it should). And contrary to popular belief other cars have faults too, it's the luck of the draw.

My gearbox has been fine btw

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
My g/f wants the red and i want the grey...uh oh a domestic on the horizon lol!
:tut: Tell her to bog off - it's your car after all ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you driven the Audi? I hummed and hawed over the A4 S-line SE until I drove it. Sure it was quick but it was also noisy and soooo boring to drive. The 159 won by a mile.
I have driven both and the audi was a bit dissapointing, i felt the suspension was a wee bit too firm (and thats coming from a rx-8 owner) and it felt heavy and cumbersome when thrown into a corner. I must admit i was pleasantly suprised by the responsive handling of the alfa and the power from the turbo was applied alot smoother compared the audi but if anything i thought the alfa was more noisey?! maybe that was just me. Anyway you lot have swayed me in to getting the alfa im picking up the rubino red with black leather on sat nr derby and i live in essex so i will let you know how the drive home is, hopefully with a few bmw and merc scalps under my belt ha ha! i settled for the red on the grounds that the girlfriend tax's the car for a year and buys the the 18" 7 hole wheels :lol: result!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts