Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im looking at purchasing a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1750TBi Squadra Corse Limited Edition 210kw with 4800 km(Almost new). It has basically been sitting for 3 years.
It has an extended warranty and maintenance plan but im really concerns about reliability over the next 3- 5 years witha performance alfa.

I would really like to hear from the forum about things to watch out for or any common problems that the Giulietta has in general as well and the average running costs for this? Am I going to be spending a lot of time in and out of the service center or am I pretty safe for the next 3- 5 years

Looking forward to your responses

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
Not many of these apply to models from 2017. In fact you should find it as reliable as any other car two years of age as long as it’s been looked after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had a 2017 plate speciale for about 12 months now. It's head and shoulders above an early generation giulietta I had some years ago. I'm now approaching 10k trouble free miles with it.
I was very apprehensive too before my purchase. But so far so good.
Btw, mines only the 1.4 ma 170.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
2016 car now with 55k miles. Outside temperature sensor and drivers window switch have been the only 2 faults. I've also owned a much older and higher mileage 156. Alfa unreliability is a myth and has been for a long time.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
“It has basically been sitting for 3 years.”
Cars like to be used. Is your concern more about the effects of it standing around , which would apply to any car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
On a different note but something to consider is whether the milage is legitimate.

I am also considering to buy a Giulietta right now, 1.4TB though. It also has a very low milage for it's age (2014 at 45k miles) and I am wary of it's legitimacy. Did you consider that with your case?

Does anyone have any thoughts about clocked milage? Essentially in UK car is usually 3 years old before the first milage is taken down at the MOT, making it very prone to milage fraud in the first 3 years of usage. How hard is it to clock milage in modern cars?

·
Registered
32,008 Posts
The tyres usually provide a clue up to 20,000 or so miles for a Giulietta. Otherwise low mileage could have been more urban stop-start so at least as much general mechanical wear as a higher car used on decent trips.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have a 2010 car that has proved to be very reliable, just needed a new alternator this year but everything else is and has been in expected running costs. If a car has been sat for 3 years without any mileage I would be wary of the springs on the suspension and struts. I had a Puugeot 306 off the road for about a year and when I finally changed the engine a front strut spring broke for no reason that I can explain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2012 build MA here with 55000km. Only trouble is the tailgate wiring loom. The rear demister stopped working because the cable had snapped. I repaired the cable easily enough by myself. When the cambelt was being replaced (routinely), my mechanic noticed that the driver's side engine mount had sagged a bit and recommended replacement which I did at a cost of $300. I think I could have kept going without doing this job but I like to keep my car perfect.
I believe on later models the tailgate wiring loom has been repositioned to avoid the flexing of the cables. You won't have that issue on a 2017.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’ve only had my Giulietta Veloce 1750 for almost 6 months and a similarly powered 4C for 3.5 years. Nothing gone wrong yet with either. Some talk on the forum to look out for fuel contamination in the engine oil due to leaking injectors. Haven’t noticed any petrol smell when having a whiff of the oil through the oil filler hole. I’ll be getting the oil tested on the 4C at the next change in March 2020.

The wiring loom issue on the tailgate was rectified by 2017 so you shouldn’t have any problem with that annoyance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts