Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will go and check it out, there seems to be some red at the bottom of the drivers door, wonder if the door is open or if it is badly aligned.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
looks good, but as most traders do, he says "superb" to everything on his website!

Have a look and make up your own mind - go there believing the mileage is probably not right, then look for evidence to prove it is right:) pedal wear, shiny steering wheel, discs, general wear from the heel in the carpets - general shine on plastic pieces that would be handled by the driver in everyday use.

Maybe he is an honest guy then you have found a good car that is getting difficult to find in unmolested condition. The engine bay looks clean, not over polished and with nicely worn stickers (no new buddies stuck in there to fool a buyer into thinking wow!)

As he is a trader he should be able to organise a compression test for you before you buy and put it up on a lift for you to carefully inspect underneath - if he says he can't arange that, be doubtful....a trader will organise anything to help shift some steel:)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Looks very clean and I reckon the price is fair.

Look out for Rear Callipers not working well, Gearbox Mounts, age of Cambelt, leaks from Sunroof, Headlight condition and the usual electrical glitches. You obviously know about the Tinworm........

Had mine for over two years now and still get a buzz every time I drive it.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I may flip a coin and go and see it at the weekend, or save myself 6 large ones for another day. Am very tempted though, I guess i have to see it in the flesh.

·
Registered
37,652 Posts
TBH if you know it has cost him in the region of £3,700 I would be offering £5K tops so he can shift it on and take a profit. Lot's of sharp intake of breath and "they don't sell well" and "well, if you want to have to garage it over the winter and your cash is invested in it, then that's your choice" ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
..... there seems to be some red at the bottom of the drivers door, wonder if the door is open or if it is badly aligned.

If I remeber correctly the grey along the bottom of the sills is a decal that tended to shrink a bit in the sun. It protected the sills effectively from scratches and scrapes. Probably still available somewhere.

Lovely engine to drive. Happy Xmas :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided against going to see the gtv6, i understand it needed minor attention which at that price didnt tickle my fancy, so foolishly or not, I Bought a 164 3.0 LHD locally with 5 months tax and 6 months mot for £600. Its even got leather interior, i figured i can experience the 3 litre engine before they get rare, and if it lasts me a year I'll be happy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I decided against going to see the gtv6, i understand it needed minor attention which at that price didnt tickle my fancy, so foolishly or not, I Bought a 164 3.0 LHD locally with 5 months tax and 6 months mot for £600. Its even got leather interior, i figured i can experience the 3 litre engine before they get rare, and if it lasts me a year I'll be happy.
Nice choice - I saw that one advertised.

The 164 was one of my favourite Alfas, I enjoyed it even more than my GTV6.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The 164 was one of my favourite Alfas,
+1.I hope it works out well.
I had a 12 valve one for a couple of years, followed by a 24v Super. Loved them both but preferred the 12V overall. The 24V was an automatic and the box wasn't really suited to the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts