Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ! I know this as been on the Forums before, but I need help on the subject. My Engine blew the head gasket and after taking the head of we found a bit of play on the pistons. We went further on the stripping and after getting the sump out, found bits of metal , more stripping down and one of the shells on the crankshaft was black and the shaft has ridges which means more trouble. Where I am in Portugal its cheaper to install another engine, but 155s 16 valve twin cam 2.0 L are as rare as gold dust. So because the car is in such good condition I am willing to install any engine that will fit even if it ia a 1.6 or 1.8 L. There are lots of 145s 146s 147s and 156s but like I said 155s 16v T/S are very rare. Question.
Among this lot which engines will fit better ?
I will thank all advice that you Guys can throw at me.
:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::

·
Registered
121 Posts
I believe 2.0 TS engine out of 156 or 147 will fit

You will need to swap the inlet manifold and the exhaust cam pulley and sensor

You may need to swap one or two other ancillaries
The block and head are the same
You may wish to replace all belts and water pump while you have it out
Hope this helps
Keep us posted on progress
Good Luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have one doubt because you say you believe.
Is that a 100% sure, or is something that you think it will work.
I would like to hear from someone who as done something similar, so when it comes to do the work, at least I could follow step by step and all problems and issues could them be done in a similar way, so you could prepare yourself to to the work in a very succefull way.
I apologise if I in any way made you think that your help wasnt more than welcome, because it was.
By the way do you have to replace the car brain or can you use the one from the original car ?
All help welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Apart from the 166, all the 16v TS engines will fit. If fitting the engine from 147 or 156, as said some parts will need to be swapped as the connectors to your car electrics will be different, and if I remember correctly the thermostat is different, and the 155 has a temperature sensor in the cylinder head - the later engine probably has a blanking plug.

As far as the ECU is concerned, always use your car's own ECU - its linked to immobiliser, so another car's ECU won't allow the car to run.

Reactions: Vicalfa

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apart from the 166, all the 16v TS engines will fit. If fitting the engine from 147 or 156, as said some parts will need to be swapped as the connectors to your car electrics will be different, and if I remember correctly the thermostat is different, and the 155 has a temperature sensor in the cylinder head - the later engine probably has a blanking plug.

As far as the ECU is concerned, always use your car's own ECU - its linked to immobiliser, so another car's ECU won't allow the car to run.
Thanks again for all your help, and I will defenetly let you know about the progress of the works.
If for any reason things get complicated I will be asking for your expertise once more, if that isnt too much trouble.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
No problem - always happy to keep a 155 on the road. Worth joining us on alfa155.org ? Index page - where I'm "Lancsbreaker" :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts